10.0 VS 10.1 iMac DV

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Ok here is my question. I own and iMac DV and have not been super happy with the performance of 10. Is there that much of a differnce between os 10 and 10.1 on a machine like this.

Thanks a Bunch

NHNLODAT

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Like night and day. I have an iMac DVSE 400 with 10.1.3. It runs faster than on my iBook 500 which I think runs fine.

What are you waiting for?
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Reasons to upgrade to 10.1:

1. More speed.

1a. Not as slow.

1b. Additional speed.

2. Everything else is better too.

3. It's cheap.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Definately upgrade. You'll notice a huge improvement.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Definately upgrade. No question about it.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    I am looking to buy a G4 466 with OSX 10.0 installed. Can 10.1 be downloaded through software updater? Would Apple let me purchase it for $20 since he is sending me the original disk?................
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Most programs now require 10.1 because of the huge differences in it. So upgrade!!!

Steve666: They should give it to you free at the apple Retail Stores (at least that is what they hinted to me). Just bring the 10.0 CD in and ask at the Genius Bar.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    r. h.r. h. Posts: 56member
    Actually, when I went in to get my 10.1 CD, They just handed me the upgrade disk, no questions asked. Of course, that was before someone publicized the fact that, with a little tinkering and a CD burner, you can apparently turn one of their "free upgrade" CDs into a fully functional 10.1 installer disk. So Apple's policies on this may have changed...
  • Reply 8 of 8
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    Thanks guys, but now the point is moot. He agreed to send me the 10.1 CD if I used Buy it Now feature. I did it-also got free shipping

It only has 10.0 installed on it right now. There is some software coming on the G4 that I would like to copy before upgrading to 10.1. Can I just drage the software folder onto a recodrable CD? Will it still function this way (what about the extensions, control panels, etc). Is it better to put the programs on a CDR or a CDRW or does it matter?

As for installing 10.1, should I initialize the hard drive before installing, or is just doing a clean install enough? I want to start with a clean slate. Thanks!.....................................