My new Mac Pro

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
It's been a while since I've posted in here. I still check the news every day, but too busy to spend time posting (you know how addictive it gets... Ireland!) Anyway..

Got up my shiny new Mac Pro today. It's so friggin fast! (2 x 3.0 Quad Core Xeon, 4 GB RAM, nVidia 8800GT and some extra 500GB HDDs)

I just thought I'd let you share in my excitement!

Need some decent monitors (speakers) now, any ideas? I looked at the Bose Companion 5, but I didn't think they were that special for the price. Has anyone had a good experience with them, or anything similar?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    skivesskives Posts: 50member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpinDrift View Post

It's been a while since I've posted in here. I still check the news every day, but too busy to spend time posting (you know how addictive it gets... Ireland!) Anyway..

Got up my shiny new Mac Pro today. It's so friggin fast! (2 x 3.0 Quad Core Xeon, 4 GB RAM, nVidia 8800GT and some extra 500GB HDDs)

I just thought I'd let you share in my excitement!

Need some decent monitors (speakers) now, any ideas? I looked at the Bose Companion 5, but I didn't think they were that special for the price. Has anyone had a good experience with them, or anything similar?

Is the Mac Pro upgradeable? If new faster processor comes out can I swap it into the Mac Pro? Just curious to how upgradeable it is.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    What is this whole upgradeable thing as a major detractor?

The MacPro is one of the fastest computers in the world available at its price point. Anybody who buys one likely does high-end work that also makes enough money to afford one in the first place. The computer's specs will not be out of date for two years, which is just about a normal turn-over time frame for pro use.

Personally, now that tech has reached the point which it has, I have slowed to upgrading my machines every three or four years. Video editing and processing that used to take days now takes hours, and other stuff that used to take hours now takes minutes.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

other stuff that used to take hours now takes minutes.

Intercourse?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

What is this whole upgradeable thing as a major detractor?

I know, upgradability is really a minor part of owning even a high end machine. I see PC shops all around my area empty or shutting down because people aren't buying parts. People just don't need to do it any more.

That above Mac Pro would last anyone a good number of years.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    A lot of pros now can actually get a lot of amazing work done on iMacs. I'm probably going to upgrade my old G5 this year, more out of lack of support for my new HD camera (Intel only) than for lack of power (though it only has one internal drive at the moment). I also need a RAID system and am considering internal versus external and total size. If I switch to an iMac, I can add a small bookshelf to my desk where the G% currently sits. The RAID system can be place off to the side. If not RAID, at least I need a lot of HD space.

Yeah, the computer supply shop down the street from me used to be one of the busiest places in town; now it looks like a dump and it seems more of a matter of when they close down. Their sign got damaged in a typhoon two years ago and hasn't been fixed yet. On the wall they have "Striving to be #1" painted, but the paint is so faded only people who know what it says can read it.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    The screen build in to the Imac is not the best for pro work.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Intercourse?

I know, upgradability is really a minor part of owning even a high end machine. I see PC shops all around my area empty or shutting down because people aren't buying parts. People just don't need to do it any more.

That above Mac Pro would last anyone a good number of years.

Most of the small ones can't keep up with the big warehouse online stores

and the tiger direct retail store that is connected to the warehouse is packed most of the time.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe_the_dragon View Post

It depends on what kind of pro work.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by skives View Post

Is the Mac Pro upgradeable? If new faster processor comes out can I swap it into the Mac Pro? Just curious to how upgradeable it is.

The processors can be upgraded, but it's not as easy as it would be for competing workstations. There doesn't seem to be much point to it because usually when Intel introduces a set of faster processors, it's on a new bus speed. I don't know if the Penryn-based CPUs are compatible with with the first round of Mac Pros. It probably doesn't matter that much as the speed increases don't justify paying $1k each for new processors.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    kareliakarelia Posts: 525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe_the_dragon View Post

I must disagree. I've got one of the 20" iMacs and I've done my share of photo and video work on it. I'll let you know when and if I have an issue, but I wouldn't wait by the phone.

Now, I must say that I've noticed that two identical units sitting side-by-side might have different screen qualities. I've noticed it more in the latest run of MacBooks, probably due to Apple using more than one brand of display. So I guess I can't vouch for EVERY iMac having a pro-level screen, but mine sure does.