LG L246WP-BN Monitor

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I am looking for a 21-24 inch monitor for my new mac pro(ordering soon) that I mostly use for photography and design. Color quality might, if significant, trump size. I am looking in the $800 tops price range but prefer it closer to $500. The LG L246WP-BN (recently L245WP-BN) gets very good reviews for color accuracy and range though it isn't a s-ips monitor. So a couple of questions:

1) Any with experience with this monitor on a mac and which graphics card?

2) It doesn't have a DVI connector but does come with a DVI to HDMI adapter. Any possible problems?

3) It seems that the panel type (s-ips, tn, s-pva?) isn't usually in the provided specs. How do you find out?

4) It can be hard to make sense out of the various reviews as there aren't many (trustworthy) expert reviews and many user reviews seem to have an agenda or a very narrow viewpoint. Can anyone recommend a review site that seems honest and without an agenda but also addresses the interest of a particular user segment (gamers, photographers, illustration, movie creation, etc.)?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    I have this monitor. Note that I am not using it with a Mac- my Mac is an old iBook and obviously wouldn't do so well with a big monitor- but I am very happy with it. I don't think any Mac with a DVI port would have trouble running this display; the DVI-HDMI cable works fine, it's just a simple adapter. The graphics card in the PC it's connected to is nothing special.

The panel in mine is P-MVA, which from what I've read falls in between PVA and IPS in quality. The viewing angles are excellent and I don't notice any problems with the response time. I can't speak to the color reproduction, because I don't have the equipment to calibrate it, but movies and television look good on it to me. I did change the color mode to sRGB and turned the brightness way down.

I bought mine on clearance at Circuit City for $326. I think it's a discontinued model now, so they were getting rid of them.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    dcrocksdcrocks Posts: 14member
    I have some answers to question 3. This site, http://axofiber.no-ip.org/inside/mon....panels.en.htm , has a lot of info on panel types. It appears a little out of date and I don't know how frequently they refresh it. This other site explains the meaning of the alphabet soup: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/specs.htm . It also has reviews.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dcrocks View Post

This site, http://axofiber.no-ip.org/inside/mon....panels.en.htm , has a lot of info on panel types.

Quote:

L245WP\t1920x1200\t500\t1000:1\t8 gtg\t178/178\tAUO\t24.0\tPrem.MVA

The L245 and L246 are the same thing; one version was for retailers like Best Buy and the other was for distributors like Newegg.com. So those specs are accurate for both monitors.

There is another model of both, which has a TN panel. Its called the L245WH and L246WH; be sure not to buy the wrong one.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    dcrocksdcrocks Posts: 14member
    After spending a lot of time on the net looking at this, I've decided that, for my setup, it would be best to look at a 20-22in monitor that is as fast a S-IPS or P-MVA monitor with a good warranty as I can afford. A 24in or larger monitor would overwhelm my desktop and I just don't use my computer for entertainment very much. If I progress into serious video then I will probably want a 2nd monitor specifically for that kind of work.

It looks like a number of vendors have good models in this range but they mostly seem to be older versions, introduced as long as 4 years ago. Some have changed panel types from S-IPS to P-MVA without changing model #'s. The older models do mean reduced prices though, which is good as I am still not to a point where I can justify a high end professional model.

If anyone has a model they would really like to push, please feel free to do so. I am going to take the next couple of days to narrow my investigation and hints are always appreciated.