information

Record a video . . . . 18 . . . . . . . . . . 3

Play music . . . . . . 17 . . . . . . . . . . 7

Send or receive .. . . 17 . . . . . . . . . . 6

instant messages

Get a map or . . . . . 14 . . . . . . . . . . 3

directions

Watch video. . . . . . 10 . . . . . . . . . . 3

These statistics are skewed by age group as older age groups are dragging the percentages down. Still, this does not speak well of wireless comms in the USA. Another interesting set of numbers is that black and hispanics have nearly double the percentages in usage compared to whites. This is interesting to me, as I'm wondering if this is a wealth effect where whites have more access to the internet/computing through both work and home while the poorer have cell phones as the main option. Or it could be cultural as whites stay at home while blacks / hispanic lead more mobile lifestyles. Who knows.

How does this relate to Apple and iPhone? Actually I don't know. Apple (Steve Jobs) doesn't really do market research. They build a product with a mixture of art and tech, combined with what they think people really do with a mobile device. The statistics above don't look promising in regards to iPhone, as I think Apple wants 5 to 10% marketshare in the USA, and these statistics don't really show that it is there. Either that, or the current state of cell phones and networks are so abysmal that no one tries, even if the features are there. If the it is the latter, Apple can carve out a good niche, which is typically what they are about.

I have to imagine an iPhone user sends email/SMS at least once a day, Internet more than once a day, music every day, video maybe once a week, and maps once a week or month.