Newton Virus?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I'm not sure if this is the right forum. I apologize if it's not!

Anyway, a PC-loving friend of mine was just trying to scare me with this YouTube: Click

To be honest, that's the coolest virus I've ever seen! But I imagine it would be a real pain after the amusement faded.

Anyone know anything about it? If it's just a hoax? Or are the flawless machines finally in for a wake up call?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jeremiah2911 View Post

Anyone know anything about it? If it's just a hoax? Or are the flawless machines finally in for a wake up call?

The Newton Virus is not a virus. It doesn't even qualify as malware. It is an application that must be installed on a Mac by a user. You can read more about it on the Geeks Are Sexy website. The first sentence is as follows:
    Quote:

The Newton virus is a perfectly inoffensive little Mac application that will never replicate itself, mail itself to your contact list or delete any of your files. ...

• Reply 2 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

The Newton Virus is not a virus. It doesn't even qualify as malware. It is an application that must be installed on a Mac by a user. You can read more about it on the Geeks Are Sexy website. The first sentence is as follows:

Haha! That looks like fun.

So I suppose Macs still safe for the most part?
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Hahahaha...that is amusing! All of my PC friends will like that.