Mac Pro RAM (Early 2008 Model)

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hello all,

I am wondering what kind of RAM I can get away with purchasing for an early 2008 Mac Pro as I do not want to pay the extortionate fees for Apple memory. I've heard lots of conflicting story, but the general consensus appears to be this:
  • I can put ECC or non-ECC in, as long as I don't mix the two types

• I can put 667MHz RAM in, with a limited performance penalty

• Whatever I put in, it must be fully-buffered?

ECC gives a performance hit, a small one but still. Hasn't memory got more reliable these days and the need for ECC is limited? (Maybe in the upper atmosphere it is needed :P)

Can anyone confirm correct these points?

Cheers

Jan

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irchs View Post

Hello all,

I am wondering what kind of RAM I can get away with purchasing for an early 2008 Mac Pro as I do not want to pay the extortionate fees for Apple memory. I've heard lots of conflicting story, but the general consensus appears to be this:
    • I can put ECC or non-ECC in, as long as I don't mix the two types

• I can put 667MHz RAM in, with a limited performance penalty

• Whatever I put in, it must be fully-buffered?

ECC gives a performance hit, a small one but still. Hasn't memory got more reliable these days and the need for ECC is limited? (Maybe in the upper atmosphere it is needed :P)

Can anyone confirm correct these points?

Cheers

Jan

It must be ECC, and it must be fully buffered.

You can get away with 667MHz ? there's about a 2-4% performance penalty.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irchs View Post

am wondering what kind of RAM I can get away with purchasing for an early 2008 Mac Pro

You're buying (or already bought) a $3000+ machine and you're looking to cheap out on one of the most crucial components? I don't get it.

I agree—Apple's pricing is way over priced—but get the 800MHz ECC RAM recommended for the machine. You can get a matched set of 4GB (2x2GB) for around $200 at OWC and others. The price difference is negligible.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    irchsirchs Posts: 86member
    ah it was mostly curiosity, I will be going for the fully-buffered ECC stuff anyway

Cheers guys

Jan