Macbook Restarts Itself - Not What You're Thinking it is...

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have an Intel Core Duo Macbook, that as of yesterday would restart upon ANY type of pressure to the middle of the case, Top or bottom.

The first thing i did was search online but everyone else had a different type of problem than me..

So if i pick it up, or even type too hard it will restart. I've concluded that whatever is triggering this is located in the center of the macbook.

So far, I've re-seated the ram, HDD, replaced the ram AND the HDD, and most recently, Disassembled the laptop to look for any obvious loose connections etc. with no luck.

I am running the latest update to 10.5 and have been a while with no problems.

Its pretty clear to me that this is a HARDWARE related issue as only physical type stimulus results in a repeat of the problem.

When it happens, sometimes it will restart, but others i often have to try 5-10 times via a hard reset to get it to turn back on, and all it does until I'm randomly successful is click on, but not POST.

Out of frustration, I hit the keyboard with an open fist once, and have found that most of the time, hitting it will help it turn back on, so I'm pretty sure there is a loose connection somewhere in there. (yes I know hitting computers typically is not recommended)

I cant afford a costly repair currently as I'm am attending college, so if anyone has any direction as to what this could be, if maybe you've experienced it yourself. I'm hoping its something simple like a broken solder point or ribbon cable that i could repair myself.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Hmm, I guess I'll post my problem on a PC forum....
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Well, if anyone cares enough to want to know the answer...

The RAM slot 2 is not working properly, and when ANY stick is put in there it causes problems, so im down to 1GB of ram for now, until i can afford a new laptop.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Probably the best thing that you can do is take the computer to the genius bar. This way they can send if off to Apple to be diagnosed. If the computer is under warranty then there will be no cost. Otherwise, I am not sure what to recommend. It is probably some bad solder, but there is really no way for me to know without seeing the board and all of it's connectors.