Keep files between two Macs synced?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I'm looking for a app that will sync my home folder on my MacBook with the home folder on my iMac... Anyone know of any good ones? Particularly one that is free? I just saw a thing on ChronoSync but I don't have $30 just laying around.



Thanks!

Brandon

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 6
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,219member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brandon639 View Post


    I'm looking for a app that will sync my home folder on my MacBook with the home folder on my iMac... ... Particularly one that is free? I just saw a thing on ChronoSync but I don't have $30 just laying around.



    ...



    Qdea's Synchronize! X Plus will do what you want. Synchronize! Pro X will do even more. Both offer limited synchronization in demo mode. If you want to keep your Home folder synchronized, however, your are going to have to fork over the Hamiltons. To do the job without paying for software, I think that you need to create an AppleScript, smart folder, or Automator action.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    toxotestoxotes Posts: 102member
    You may also want to consider FolderShare It has the benefit that it will also sync files over the internet if your PCs are in different locations.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,219member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by toxotes View Post


    You may also want to consider FolderShare It has the benefit that it will also sync files over the internet if your PCs are in different locations.



    This is nothing special. Except for the startup volume, the treats all mounted volumes the same. ChronoSync and Synchronize! X/Synchronize! Pro X will synchronize between any two folders [or directories] on any of the available mounted volumes irrespective of their physical locations. You don't need the Microsoft intermediary.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    toxotestoxotes Posts: 102member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post


    This is nothing special. Except for the startup volume, the treats all mounted volumes the same. ChronoSync and Synchronize! X/Synchronize! Pro X will synchronize between any two folders [or directories] on any of the available mounted volumes irrespective of their physical locations. You don't need the Microsoft intermediary.



    Okay fair enough, I hadn't considered that. On the other hand, FolderShare doesn't require you to mount volumes to do a sync, and mounting a volume to a device over the internet isn't always easy. E.g., if I wanted to do that for my computer at work, I'd need to establish a VPN connection first. And I don't know of a way to do it all for my computer at school or at my mom's house. But with FolderShare, no mounting required and in fact I keep folders sync'd on computers in all these locations. The only requirement is that every computer that you're syncing to is connected to the internet, that's it.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post


    Qdea's Synchronize! X Plus will do what you want. Synchronize! Pro X will do even more. Both offer limited synchronization in demo mode. If you want to keep your Home folder synchronized, however, your are going to have to fork over the Hamiltons. To do the job without paying for software, I think that you need to create an AppleScript, smart folder, or Automator action.



    I must confess I've never understood Automator. Can I set it up to automatically sync my two home folders whenever I switch the machine on or once a day say?
  • Reply 6 of 6
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,219member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mpw_amherst View Post


    I must confess I've never understood Automator. Can I set it up to automatically sync my two home folders whenever I switch the machine on or once a day say?



    Sure. Why not?
Sign In or Register to comment.