4GB Mac Mini 2GHz Core Duo 2 with 128GB SSD

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Yeah has anybody done this yet or will I be the first? I already upgraded my Mac Mini to 4GB using Kingston PC2-5300 memory that was on sale for $79.99 at Fry's Electronics or if you want it online www.frys.com . My next move since I see way faster of applications operations that improved despite it utilizing 75% of the total memory because of lack of a firmware update. I'm more interested in putting a solid state drive in the Mac Mini. I seen how fast the Mac Book Air was running on SSD. I honest was very impressed. It just ALL my years messing with computers I've never seen a computer move so fast. Everything was instantaneously. Also after reading the article below I then became more intrigued. If anybody got any input on this please post it.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    It's your money. A 7200RPM drive would probably give you a lot more bang for the buck.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Ugh... why?

Your programs will open quickly, but if you're going to put that type of money into product why not spend it on a better system? The improved computer performance from a higher-end Macintosh would get you much more bang for the buck.

If you do go through with it though, it could be fun to hear about the result.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

Ugh... why?

Your programs will open quickly, but if you're going to put that type of money into product why not spend it on a better system? The improved computer performance from a higher-end Macintosh would get you much more bang for the buck.

If you do go through with it though, it could be fun to hear about the result.

Why not? The Mac Mini technically is just 400MHz faster than the MacBook Air. Since I already have 4GB in the Mac Mini now by all means this will be even faster than the MacBook Air I've seen with 2GB memory with a 64GB SSD. My answer why not have "The World's Fastest Mac Mini Ever!"

This is what review got me going!

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=4259
  • Reply 4 of 5
    More money than sense. A Mac Pro with a fast drive will run circles around your expensive experiment at lower price.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

More money than sense. A Mac Pro with a fast drive will run circles around your expensive experiment at lower price.

Be honest putting a SSD in 8-core 3.2GHz Mac Pro yeah we expect great performance, but I like the underdogs.