10 years ago vs. today (wired covers inside)

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
The Mac world's seriously different today than it was 10 years ago.

The transformation is complete. I can stop cheering for them now. They are in a seat of power, they just have to stay there.

Today:

1997:

Things were so different then - all over, not just in Mac Land.. There was more optimism in general. The Newton is what we hoped it would be (iPhone), the Mac has surpassed the PC in some categories of mindshare, the Mac OS has been thoroughly revamped, and the whole platform (and product line) has incited envy in just about every other contender.

Sun is still gasping, SGI is operating with someone else's brains, and Win32 has been stretched far, far beyond what should be possible.

The real question I have is whether Steve's work is done. Apple Computer is now Apple, Inc., and I think he'll step aside pret-ty soon, now..

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    wircwirc Posts: 302member
    I'm amazed at the number of errors and slight misstatements in that article.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    I just love that cover. It's so intense. Glad I kept that issue.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

I just love that cover. It's so intense. Glad I kept that issue.

Yeah, that original cover made an impression. When I saw the updated cover this month, I told my wife--this looks like that cover from 4 or 5 years ago. Damn, time flies. Try 11. Oh well. It is cool that Wired revisited--and admitted how wrong they were.

This after AI admitted they were wrong about the Mini...

What next? Bush/Cheney fess up on Iraq?