Moving iTunes Library to New HDD

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
As I was running out of space on my 500GB external HDD, I bought a 1TB one to cope.

I copied all the folders from the 500GB to the 1TB and then changed the iTunes Music Folder location within preferences.

However when I look under GEt Info on each track it is still showing the old driver for the folder location at "Where"

I'm confused

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SAPCOR1 View Post

As I was running out of space on my 500GB external HDD, I bought a 1TB one to cope.

I copied all the folders from the 500GB to the 1TB and then changed the iTunes Music Folder location within preferences.

However when I look under GEt Info on each track it is still showing the old driver for the folder location at "Where"

I'm confused

Assuming that you have the preference checked to have iTunes manage your library, the most reliable way to move your music from one location to another is to change the location in the preferences panel first and then select "consolidate library" from the "advanced" menu in the taskbar.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SAPCOR1 View Post

I'm confused

Hold down the 'Option' key while starting iTunes ... a dialogue box will pop up asking you to select the location of the iTunes library file ... browse to its location on your new hard drive ... select it and hit ok.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    skyboltskybolt Posts: 111member
    Here's the way Apple says to do it: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=301748