Airport extreme

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I have recently purchased the new Airport extreme. After initial setup, I am shocked to note that the range is not more than 25 feet. I have no clue as to what additional settings need to be done. Help needed. Sujay

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    mzaslovemzaslove Posts: 519member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sujay View Post

I have recently purchased the new Airport extreme. After initial setup, I am shocked to note that the range is not more than 25 feet. I have no clue as to what additional settings need to be done. Help needed. Sujay

I can walk out of my house and across the street and still get a connection on mine. Are you set at 2.4GHz, or 5.0GHz? At 2.4GHz, microwaves, cordless phones, all sorts of things can cause problems. What machine(s) are you using with it? What kind of wireless are you using on the machine(s): G? N? Etc.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    there must be a lot of interference going on in your area, Apartment building?
  • Reply 3 of 5
    If you're in a tightly packed area (e.g. apartment building) you may have neighbors who use equipment that interferes with your own wireless network. Still, if you are consistently getting a poor signal, but are consistently getting a signal while in range, that seems a little odd. Usually bad equipment will cut out your signal or cause fluctuating trouble.

You might consider upgrading to the Airport Extreme.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    mzaslovemzaslove Posts: 519member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

If you're in a tightly packed area (e.g. apartment building) you may have neighbors who use equipment that interferes with your own wireless network. Still, if you are consistently getting a poor signal, but are consistently getting a signal while in range, that seems a little odd. Usually bad equipment will cut out your signal or cause fluctuating trouble.

You might consider upgrading to the Airport Extreme.

Didn't he say he already had an Airport Extreme?
  • Reply 5 of 5
    I hope you dont mind me hijacking the thread.. but I have an airport extreme, and I am noticing some very slow transfer speeds to a connected airdisk. I have tried two separate hard drives connected via usb, and I see some interesting sawtooth patterns when looking at the activity monitor.

I notice the transfer speed jump up to ~6MBs and then almost instantly back down to zero. I am using 802.11n on a pure 5GHz connection with a single macbook pro 2.16Ghz 4GB RAM. Latest firmwares..

Thanks for any help!