New MacBook Pro, replaced HP nx9420

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
My special order 17" MBP has arrived. This is a comparison to my HP/Compaq nx9420 which was also top of the line not too long ago. The HP is almost 2 years old but it is a 2.0 GHz Core2Duo, and their newest business laptop available right now is a 2.2, with everything else the same as it was except for the addition of draft N wireless. So, this comparison shouldn't be too far off.

Both top of the line models are approx $3000 today.

HP: 2.0 GHz (2.2 GHz today) ---------------Apple: 2.5 GHz

HP: 17" LCD ---------------------------------Apple: 17" LED LCD

HP: LCD turned all the way up -------------Apple: LCD at half brightness, still clearer

HP: Tiny touchpad ----------------------------Apple: Large Multi-touch Pad

HP: Touch pad on left side, awkward -------Apple: Touchpad in center

HP: Very large, heavy, bulky ---------------Apple: Sleeker, Noticeably lighter

HP: Power adaptor large, heavy-------------Apple: Power adaptor medium sized

HP: Black plastic, toy-ish feel----------------Apple: Aluminum, compliments from strangers

HP: Driver issues running Windows XP,

Errors on shutdown, stops responding,

Mouse arrow always jumps to open dialog

regardless of how driver is set, clean

re-install doesn't help driver issues.

---------------------------------------------------Apple: Windows XP runs smoothly.

Both units have firewire ports, but I did not have a firewire cable, so I plugged an ethernet cable between both units and manually set both IP numbers on the same network. Interestingly, I did not need to use a cross-over cable. The ports auto crossed over and made a connection. I temporarily turned on sharing on Drive C: and copied all of my files over very easily at 1Gb.

All in all I am extremely pleased with the MBP. Having already replaced both of my PC desktops in Aug. and Sept. with iMacs, I am now fully converted to The New Apple and very impressed. Thank you Apple.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    9secondko9secondko Posts: 929member
    Good to hear. I have the same report from a Mac Pro that is dual booting Mac Os and Windows XP Pro. I bought it for my workplace.

We switched because a Dell with a Pentium D was having major issues and a reformat and istall did nothing to help. The Mac runs Windows like a dream (but runs OS X better- it is the better OS after all)