Kodak EasyShare 5000 series

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I recent purchased the Kodak EasyShare 5300, mainly because of the incredibly low cost of ink for these units, while still maintaining fairly good print quality. It works well with either my MBP or XP-PC. The only real complaint I have about it is that it cannot work with Airport printer sharing. This is bizarre for a modern, USB printer. From Apple's support forum, I gather that others have run into the limitation. Kodak blames Apple, Apple blames Kodak. Kodak says to use a WiFi router from Silex that can support sharing of this printer over the network. I don't like that idea because I don't know Silex as a brand, the router in question is g and I have no need to add another base station to my AEBS network.

Now, the AEBS and PC and printer are all in the same room in the house, so I am quite willing to connect the printer my PC and share it out. For the limited printing I do, it isn't a major inconvenience to boot up the PC if I think I will be doing printing from the Mac on a given night. I don't want to have to take the MBP upstairs from where I normally use it in order to do a few prints of web pages.

Has anyone gotten this to work? Google searches turn up a few postings that imply others have been able to get sharing of these printers to work, if not over wifi, from a PC slaved into being a print server. I have shared out the printer, installed and enabled Unix print services on the PC, installed the drivers on both machines, added the printer to the MBP using both IP and SMB (Windows) protocols and tried both the Kodak driver and the GuttenPrint drivers when configuring the devices on the Mac. The jobs get to the PC spooler, appear to make forward progress in the spooler (about 2%) and then error out. I have enabled Spooler logging into the Windows Event log, but it shows nada. All I get is an error in the Windows print queue viewer and then the kodak driver throws up a UI saying the same thing, "Printing error". (WTF kind of driver uses a UI?...that is as bad as a UI for a service. Nice one Kodak)

Anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    I love this printer. I like it so much I even gave all my money and bought it. A month later I was surprised to see how expensive the toner cartridges are. I'm thinking of selling it and buy another one.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    batbat Posts: 47member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johannabartley View Post

I love this printer. I like it so much I even gave all my money and bought it. A month later I was surprised to see how expensive the toner cartridges are. I'm thinking of selling it and buy another one.

What are you talking about? The link is for laser toner cartridges. The Kodak is ann inkjet printer. You've managed to confuse the hell outta me.