Printer Woes:(

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Greetings!



I wonder if someone can please give me a hand?

I have a new macbook that is getting a wireless connection to an airport extreme base station. I've purchased a HP laserjet P2015 printer. The printer is connected via USB to the base station.

I've installed the HP driver (on CD) that came with the printer, but, I'm having a problem printing. My macbook can see the printer and it is trying to use bonjour to print. The lights flash a bit on the printer, but, no printing happens.

Have I missed a step somewhere? Do I need to un-install something?

The printer works with my linux boxes that are connected via USB.

Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated! I'm lost.

Thank you in advance:-)



hitest

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 5
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,756member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hitest View Post


    Greetings!



    I wonder if someone can please give me a hand?

    I have a new macbook that is getting a wireless connection to an airport extreme base station. I've purchased a HP laserjet P2015 printer. The printer is connected via USB to the base station.

    I've installed the HP driver (on CD) that came with the printer, but, I'm having a problem printing. My macbook can see the printer and it is trying to use bonjour to print. The lights flash a bit on the printer, but, no printing happens.

    Have I missed a step somewhere? Do I need to un-install something?

    The printer works with my linux boxes that are connected via USB.

    Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated! I'm lost.

    Thank you in advance:-)



    hitest



    Does the printer work with the Mac when connected via USB?



    iFelix has a list of supported printers. If it isn't on this list, then there might be workarounds. Amazon and CNet both have user reviews that mention that they got it to work with Airport without a problem.



    What steps did you take to add the printer via airport/Bonjour to your Mac?
  • Reply 2 of 5
    hitesthitest Posts: 16member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post


    Does the printer work with the Mac when connected via USB?



    iFelix has a list of supported printers. If it isn't on this list, then there might be workarounds. Amazon and CNet both have user reviews that mention that they got it to work with Airport without a problem.



    What steps did you take to add the printer via airport/Bonjour to your Mac?



    Excellent suggestion, thank you! When I go home today from work I'll try to directly connect my macbook via USB and see if it can print.......so far I've only attempted to print wirelessly.



    Steps taken so far.



    1. Used driver CD that came with HP laserjet P2015 printer and installed printer driver.

    2. Connected printer to airport extreme base station.

    3. Went into system preferences, clicked on printer/fax icon.

    4. Clicked on + to add printer. Clicked add.

    5. The HP printer seems to be found, the connection protocol is bonjour.

    6. Tried to print a document wirelessly......failed.



    I suspect I'm missing a step somewhere in my networking/bonjour set-up.



    Thank you for the reply! I will report back on this.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    hitesthitest Posts: 16member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post


    Does the printer work with the Mac when connected via USB?



    iFelix has a list of supported printers. If it isn't on this list, then there might be workarounds. Amazon and CNet both have user reviews that mention that they got it to work with Airport without a problem.



    What steps did you take to add the printer via airport/Bonjour to your Mac?



    Thank you, Tulkas:-)



    Your advice was spot on, thank you:-)

    I am able to directly print via USB to my macbook. As it turns out my HP Laserjet P2015 printer is not able to print wirelessly. This is something that the very professional apple help desk attendant pointed out to me on the phone:-) Heh, I did mention to the salesperson at my local printer store that I did want to print wirelessly on my macbook. I'm a bit miffed that I didn't more thoroughly research this printer. However, I am happy that I've found a printer that will print documents from Debian and Slackware Linux and OS 10.5.2. It is a bit of a challenge to find printers that'll print from all of my PCs.



    hitest
  • Reply 4 of 5
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,756member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hitest View Post


    Thank you, Tulkas:-)



    Your advice was spot on, thank you:-)

    I am able to directly print via USB to my macbook. As it turns out my HP Laserjet P2015 printer is not able to print wirelessly. This is something that the very professional apple help desk attendant pointed out to me on the phone:-) Heh, I did mention to the salesperson at my local printer store that I did want to print wirelessly on my macbook. I'm a bit miffed that I didn't more thoroughly research this printer. However, I am happy that I've found a printer that will print documents from Debian and Slackware Linux and OS 10.5.2. It is a bit of a challenge to find printers that'll print from all of my PCs.



    hitest



    Odd that users on Amazon and CNet claimed the P2015 worked for them on Airport and they didn't mention any workarounds.



    There are some things you could try to get unsupported printers to work.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    hitesthitest Posts: 16member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post


    Odd that users on Amazon and CNet claimed the P2015 worked for them on Airport and they didn't mention any workarounds.



    There are some things you could try to get unsupported printers to work.



    Thanks:-) I'll take a look at those settings tomorrow.
Sign In or Register to comment.