Taking the Plunge?? Some advice needed please...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I bought my first laptop around 7 months ago, an entry level Sony Vaio running Windows Vista, for normal personal use and to organise my small business.

Although i've been pleased with it I couldn't escape the nagging thought in my head that I should have bought a macbook.

This week my fiancee shut the laptop with some headphones still inside it and rinsed the screen, home insurance assures me a cheque is in the post so here is my chance - surely now is the time to get that macbook.

I've been looking at buying the 2.4ghz core 2duo wit 160gb hard drive but have some questions if any of you would care to help me out...

1) All of the backed up work from my vaio has been done on microsoft office 2007 and my busines partner uses a pc with office 2007 - how easy will it be to use my old work and share files with him? If I use Pages will he be able read files i email him or give him via a memory stick etc?

2) Are macs really virus free?! Would adding software like office for mac 2008 let bugs in (i've heard some horror stories!!)?

3) I have a bt home hub as my wireless router, will a mac work wirelessly with this (have heard some more horror stories!).

4) What is Boot Camp and why would i need it?

Thanks in advance for your responses! I'm not a professional user so doubt that i would experience any major hassle in switching from pc to mac, it's just that element of the unknown and not wanting to waste the best part of a grand on something that doesn't suit my needs.

Thanks again

Ben

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Just buy Office for Mac, you'll have no problems.

No virii so far.

No idea about router issues.

Boot Camp is part of OSX. You don't buy it. It allows you to boot up from Windows (if you bought a copy of it to run on your Mac).