safari v. firefox v. camino

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
hiii there...

i've had a mac for about two years now, and i had been using firefox as my browser. lately it has been freezing up an awful lot, or some of the websites i go on don't seem to be loading right. one of the mac geniuses at the store told me to download camino. that was the first time i've heard of it and none of my mac friends use it or have heard of it, either. so i'm wondering, would anyone recommend downloading camino? or should i just stick with safari (even though i kind of can't stand it)?

thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    I've been using Camino for years. It's never failed me yet. I think it's faster than Safari, imho. Plus it looks better. Go ahead and give it a shot.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lisaaaa View Post

hiii there...

i've had a mac for about two years now, and i had been using firefox as my browser. lately it has been freezing up an awful lot, or some of the websites i go on don't seem to be loading right. one of the mac geniuses at the store told me to download camino. that was the first time i've heard of it and none of my mac friends use it or have heard of it, either. so i'm wondering, would anyone recommend downloading camino? or should i just stick with safari (even though i kind of can't stand it)?

thanks!

Camino is good. You can download it from the Apple website if you wish. Its free so there's no penalty for giving it a try.

But Safari 3.1 and new FF beta 3 are better. I say this as someone who used to use camino daily as my favorite browser until the new safari and FF came along. They're just much faster and every bit as stable IMO.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    lisaaaalisaaaa Posts: 2member
    Thanks for all your help, guys! I'm going to give camino a shot

Lisa
  • Reply 4 of 11
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Quote:

Thanks for all your help, guys! I'm going to give camino a shot

Lisa

Go Safari

http://daringfireball.net/2008/04/firefox_3_safari_3
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

But Safari 3.1 and new FF beta 3 are better.

Wanted to point out that Mozilla has released Firefox 3 Beta 5. I love this thing. It's so fast and so stable.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    I like Safari, but Firefox 3 has narrowed the gap considerably on the usability side and has a significant advantage when it comes to speed, stability, and compatibility with websites.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    mrsinmrsin Posts: 163member
    Quote:

hiii there...

... so i'm wondering, would anyone recommend downloading camino?

thanks!

Camino is awesome - yes, in my opinion. I believe 1.5.5 is the latest stable release. I tend to run the nightly or experimental builds. I often try new, updated or beta browsers like Firefox, Flock, Safari etc.. When I load Camino though, it's like coming home. Most browsers are free, so it only costs a bit of your time to discover the one you prefer. So take them for a spin and see which one appeals to you the most? By the way, and for what it's worth, Mozilla is behind Camino, Firefox and Flock .
  • Reply 8 of 11
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    The May 2008 (latest as of April 2008) issue of MacWorld has an article on "The Browser Bunch". It compares 10 browsers including Camino, Safari, Flock, and FireFox. MW rates Flock (free), Omniweb ($15), and Safari (free) as the top browsers (4 1/2 mice). Camino, Firefox, and Opera rate 4 mice. The rest fall between 3 1/2 and 3 mice.

The article gives a lot of good info regarding all the browsers selected.

http://www.macworld.com/article/1326...owsers.html?t=
  • Reply 9 of 11
    like somene said, safari is just as good (the newest version) but something to try is Opera. Its faster then FF 2.0, and in some ways, more reliable. HOWEVER, I don't use it day to day because I have ran into some problems. But to be fair, I have an older version and I just to lazy to download the new one.

Here is a list of good browsers. Flock is amazing, and if you use photobucket....you will absolutely love it. However, when I used it back in 07, it crashed on me all to often. And Omniweb is not worth the money, Opera is a better choice.

:-D So just explore what you want and use whatever u like.

EDIT:

LOL didn't give you the list...here ya go: http://www.456bereastreet.com/archiv..._rundown_2007/
  • Reply 10 of 11
    houseleyhouseley Posts: 147member
    How do you folk cope with using different browsers when it comes to bookmarks? Is there a simple way of sharing/copying bookmarks between them?
  • Reply 11 of 11
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Null.