Problem with Finder

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hello,

I have an old G3 ibook and recently the finder is not responding mode. The icons on my desktop have disappeared as well. I can still use applications, but can't see the menu bar if an application is not open. Can someone please tell me how this can be solved? If I want to shut down I have to open System Preferences.

Help!

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    tomahawktomahawk Posts: 178member
    If you know your way around the terminal I'd navigate to your desktop in terminal and then look for any files that look "unusual". I've seen somewhat similar behavior from the Finder if there is a corrupt file on the desktop, generally if this is happening you'll see the Finder repeatedly crashing in the logs. The file will usually will have ??? in the name if I remember correctly...
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tomahawk View Post

If you know your way around the terminal I'd navigate to your desktop in terminal and then look for any files that look "unusual". I've seen somewhat similar behavior from the Finder if there is a corrupt file on the desktop, generally if this is happening you'll see the Finder repeatedly crashing in the logs. The file will usually will have ??? in the name if I remember correctly...

I tried what you suggested and the finder crash log shows that the latest updates 10.4.7 and 10.4.11 are acting wacky. How do I remove these and start from scratch especially when I can't see the desktop? I think I am better off just doing a clean install again huh?

Thank you for your reply, by the way.