10.4 Repairing permissions problem

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hey,

I can't repair my permissions anymore.

I believe it has something to do with the 'receipts' folder which contains downloaded updates. (.pkg)

I removed them to free up space on my HD & since they were downloaded and installed I assumed it wouldn't mess things up.

Does somebody have more insight on this?

I have 10.4.10 on it now and I'm not keen on installing the next update because of this.

Will it fix my problem or mess things up harder?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    rob05aurob05au Posts: 348member
    You will need to do an archive and install as the receipt pkg's are needed to be in place so that updates can see them and so the system works correctly.

They take up very little room
  • Reply 2 of 4
    drazztikkadrazztikka Posts: 240member
    I was afraid I'd should do that.

I think I'm gonna wait until my new harddrive arrives and put leopard on it instead of tiger.

Somebody know if I can put my old harddrive in a external firewire/usb enclosure to transfer data?

Where should I look out for?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    rob05aurob05au Posts: 348member
    That wouldn't be a problem I use both usb2 and firewire cases but have found the usb2 a bit better for quick use.

You will be able to mount the old drive from a usb 2 case and copy the data back to the original locations.

I would suggest to re-install any apps as some don't play well if simply copied back until leopard.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    drazztikkadrazztikka Posts: 240member
    Yes most programs have to be updated for leopard anyway so a reinstall is best I think.

I'm just using the external hd to move over user data and then wipe it to use it as a backup drive.

Thanks all for your input!