Everything is erased!

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Please help! I have important files on my computer and they have all disappeared!

I changed the owner name on my macbook and lost all of my documents!

Is there anything that can be done? I figure there has to be something. I am new to mac OS but good with tec details so please, if you know a way to fix this just lay it out for me!

Thank you for your time everyone.

Mr Need Help

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    If you were using filevault and changed the user name it moves all the data into a file on your home folder and you can just unlock it from there. I have not use filevault in a long time so I could be wrong. Hope this helps
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Need+Help_25 View Post

Please help! I have important files on my computer and they have all disappeared!

I changed the owner name on my macbook and lost all of my documents!

Is there anything that can be done? I figure there has to be something. I am new to mac OS but good with tec details so please, if you know a way to fix this just lay it out for me!

Thank you for your time everyone.

Mr Need Help

What exactly did you change?

Look in the root of your hard drive. Go into the 'Users' directory. Do you see your old user name in there? If so, click into that directory ... your files should be there.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by audiopollution View Post

What exactly did you change?

Look in the root of your hard drive. Go into the 'Users' directory. Do you see your old user name in there? If so, click into that directory ... your files should be there.

I changed the name of the computer by going under system preference .....

The old house appears in user names but does not have any of the files in it

Thank you so much for your help!!!