DirecTV - 24 Hour Movie Rental Limit (Like AppleTV)

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
For those that thought Apple TV was missing the boat, Cable and DirecTV rules are changing as of April 15th. A notice onscreen from DirecTV says, ?Effective April 15th, 2008, DVR recordings of PPV movies will be available for up to 24 hours of unlimited viewing after purchase. Major movie studios have required that satellite and cable providers alike may no longer allow their customers to view these recordings for longer than 24 hours.?

So, Apple may have been the first to be saddled with this rule, but it will be a level playing field after April 15th.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    nomannoman Posts: 8member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ramsey123 View Post

For those that thought Apple TV was missing the boat, Cable and DirecTV rules are changing as of April 15th. A notice onscreen from DirecTV says, ?Effective April 15th, 2008, DVR recordings of PPV movies will be available for up to 24 hours of unlimited viewing after purchase. Major movie studios have required that satellite and cable providers alike may no longer allow their customers to view these recordings for longer than 24 hours.?

So, Apple may have been the first to be saddled with this rule, but it will be a level playing field after April 15th.

Do you have a link for this? I'm a DirecTV customer and I don't remember seeing this.

In the past you could record a PPV and keep it on your DVR for some amount of time (> 30 days I think) BEFORE purchasing it. You could then purchase it when you are ready to view it. Will that still be true?
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Cutting and pasting my quoted sentence from DirecTV into Google quickly found multiple links. Here's one that should answer all your DirecTV DVR recording questions:

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global...setId=P4540022
  • Reply 3 of 4
    nomannoman Posts: 8member
    Quote:

Cutting and pasting my quoted sentence from DirecTV into Google quickly found multiple links. Here's one that should answer all your DirecTV DVR recording questions:

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global...setId=P4540022

Thanks that does help. It looks like I can continue to record now but pay and watch later. This makes it very similar to ATV where you have 30 days after downloading to start viewing.

And by the way, when I got home and turned on my DTV the April 15 announcement was waiting for me.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    k squaredk squared Posts: 608member
    Quote:

While there's a lot of things to blame Apple for, I shake my head when posters complain that it's Apple's fault for the 24 hour limit. If every one directed the blame where it belongs, then maybe we can get these stupid limits changed. Another stupid restriction is the new movie release delay.

I'm just happy to have Redbox available in my area.