Paying too much for things list

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
This thread is for posting your favorite rip-offs in the market place.

Would you pay close to $27 per pound for this product?

The first ingredient is "corn flour"

INGREDIENTS: CORN FLOUR, ULTRA LOW LINOLENIC SOYBEAN OIL, CARROT POWDER, NONFAT DRY MILK, WHEY (FROM MILK), DICALCIUM PHOSPHATE, CHEDDAR CHEESE (CULTURED MILK, SALT, ENZYMES), SALT, BUTTERMILK, MALTODEXTRIN, MIXED TOCOPHEROLS, DISODIUM PHOSPHATE, NATURAL FLAVOR, BUTTERFAT, ZINC SULFATE, ALPHA TOCOPHERYL ACETATE (VITAMIN E), IRON.

Well one little canister has 1.48 ounce of product and sells for $2.49

Let's see... 2.49 divided by 1.48 is about $1.68 per ounce

Multiply by 16 ounces to make for 1 pound and you have

1.68 multiplied by 16 is $26.88 per pound.

Please submit your favorite rip offs.

Fellows

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    spindlerspindler Posts: 713member
    I've noticed they have these "100 calorie packs" where they package a 100 calories worth or say, Oreos or something. But they charge like 3 times as much. I saw like 4 ounces of M and Ms for $2.50. You could buy a one pound bag for that.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    ($1000 per cr.) x (88 cr.) + (three years of living expenses) =
  • Reply 3 of 19
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShawnJ View Post

($1000 per cr.) x (88 cr.) + (three years of living expenses) =

Yeah, but you're about to make bank in a profession that makes work for itself. It won't take very long to pay off. What's the going first year rate? Everyone I know who graduated from law school recently has cleared 100K, first year.

The corn starch thing may well be a result of ethanol pork. Seriously, this is something worth writing to your congressman about. Ethanol is not a solution. Fuel cells + Nuclear + decentralized solar are.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

Yeah, but you're about to make bank in a profession that makes work for itself. It won't take very long to pay off. What's the going first year rate? Everyone I know who graduated from law school recently has cleared 100K, first year.

Yeah, it's true that there's definitely a return on the investment.

It could be worse, too. Everyone I know who goes to med school is $200,000 in debt.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    Went to the Giants game the last two nights...

I haven't decided which is worse:

The $8.50 per beer or the $50.00 in gas each trip.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    If I'm not mistaken food for babies falls under some different set of FDA regulation. So maybe that's rolled into the cost of the product?

You can always just buy something else.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Don't get me started on printer ink:

Quote:

HP recently broke the $10,000 per gallon mark with some of its color inks and I didn?t hear anyone complain?despite it being for a popular consumer line of photo printers. Currently, HP?s Magenta ink for its Photosmart 8200 series sells for $9.99 at most stores along with the required Y, Lc, Lm, B, and C inks at the same price. However, HP only puts 3.5ml in the M cartridge, 4ml in the C, 5.5ml in the Lc and Lm, and 6ml in the Y. Do the math and the Magenta ink is $2.85/ml (compared to $1.15/ml for all colors in Canon?s Chromalife #8 ink set and $1/ml for its #6 inks). Ok, HP?s inks may produce prints that last longer than Canon?s, but there are 3,785 ml in a gallon, making the final price for magenta ink an astronomical $10,788/gal!

link
  • Reply 8 of 19
    I just bought the HP LaserJet P1006 for $99. Never going back to an inkjet again. They're slow, run through ink like CRAZY, and so on.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    I often tell my students something like this:

When you buy a color and black and white cartridge, they cost about $30. When you buy a new printer, it costs usually less than $65. And it comes with two ink cartridges. So. When you run out of ink, THROW AWAY YOUR PRINTER AND BUY A NEW ONE.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    carbon offsets onless i own the company and make some bucks

bought a dell computer for our school and they(dell) asked me to buy a tree to be planted to offset the laptops "carbon / environmental footprint"
  • Reply 11 of 19
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

When you buy a color and black and white cartridge, they cost about $30. When you buy a new printer, it costs usually less than $65. And it comes with two ink cartridges. So. When you run out of ink, THROW AWAY YOUR PRINTER AND BUY A NEW ONE.

Are you kidding? I bought ink cartridges from a knock off brand for $0.99 a piece online from some place out of NY. They have not caused me any problems.

BTW I have never had a printer that came with two sets of ink cartridges. Not only that but the set that does come with the printer is only filled about 1/3 the level of replacements.

So it would seem very stupid to do what you suggested above from my vantage point / experience with the matter.

Fellows
  • Reply 12 of 19
    I'll also add to the list:

Starbucks coffee

Perrier sparkling water. (1.50 for 1L vs. a 35 pack of regular bottled water for 4.99)

Although walking into the library with those two at your side is pretty decent label-whoring, I must say.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fellowship View Post

Are you kidding? I bought ink cartridges from a knock off brand for $0.99 a piece online from some place out of NY. They have not caused me any problems

You'd think a classy guy like you would be using a laser printer!
  • Reply 13 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fellowship View Post

Are you kidding? I bought ink cartridges from a knock off brand for $0.99 a piece online from some place out of NY. They have not caused me any problems.

BTW I have never had a printer that came with two sets of ink cartridges. Not only that but the set that does come with the printer is only filled about 1/3 the level of replacements.

So it would seem very stupid to do what you suggested above from my vantage point / experience with the matter.

Fellows

Well congratulations, then. I have never had your experience, nor has anyone ever described to me how to buy HP or Epson or Canon ink cartridges for a buck apiece. Most folks I know seem to just go to Staples.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    Quote:

Don't get me started on printer ink:

link

I find it much cheaper to employ a few Monks.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    cable tv bundling services

my family watches maybe at most 12 channels,

local nbc

fox 11(american idol)

disney

nick

noggin (great great stuff no commercials)

science

national geographic

history channel

the learning channel

and flick through maybe 2-3 others

i don't watch network news shows i get my news from the internet

tv land for old shows( maybe not very often)

cable offers a lot of fluff and just plain JUNK

I DON'T WANT NEED ALL THAT OTHER JUNK TO PIMP MY CABLE BILL

i want alacart, just pay for what i watch then anything else i can get through itunes, netflix etc

at least i can pay for what i want. for you business majors minimize my fixed costs, max my variable costs
  • Reply 16 of 19
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

The ones they include with the printer aren't full. Typically they offer much less capacity than the replacement tanks do. ... Seriously, you're not going to have a billion-dollar company, with hundreds of employees, and not one employee to point out the futility of that model.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    ummm vista i mean $500 for a crappy OS that's buggy as fu** for $129 I can get Leopard that a vert thought out OS and doesn't really have bugs and for $90 more i can get iLife 08
  • Reply 18 of 19
    danmacmandanmacman Posts: 773member
    Anything from Comcast.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanMacMan View Post

Anything from Comcast.

True story.

$100/mo for the basic cable and high-speed internet package is a little much.