Where on my stereo receive can I connect my iPod?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I hope this is in the correct forum...

I've got an older stereo receiver and it has several inputs in the back. One of them is a phono input which obviously hasn't been used in years. The other two are CD and video/aux which are used.

My question is, can I connect my iPod to the unused phono input?

And are all those stereo inputs (CD, phono, and video/aux) all the same as far as input impedances? I'm assuming they are but we all know what happens when we assume...

Thanks to all who answer.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    if you have an RCA connection (which im assuming you have) then all you need is one of these connections:

http://www.casmfg.com/images/Acc_Cable.GIF

its a mini connection to RCA connection - there is a monster version for sale on the apple website for over $30 but you could probably get one by another company through radio shack or wal mart for about half that price.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    You can use anything except "Phono". That one will require a pre-amp.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,401member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by depmode101 View Post

if you have an RCA connection (which im assuming you have) then all you need is one of these connections:

http://www.casmfg.com/images/Acc_Cable.GIF

its a mini connection to RCA connection - there is a monster version for sale on the apple website for over $30 but you could probably get one by another company through radio shack or wal mart for about half that price.

Thanks depmode101. I already had one from radio shack.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galley View Post

Shoot.

I plugged in the iPod to the phone input and it didn't sound quite right. I thought maybe I had a bad connection.

I was hoping all the inputs (CD, Aux, and Phono) were identical in an electrical input sense. Been a loonng time since I had to be concerned with a record player's connections.

Thanks Galley.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    bclapperbclapper Posts: 237member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sc_markt View Post

Shoot.

I plugged in the iPod to the phone input and it didn't sound quite right. I thought maybe I had a bad connection.

I was hoping all the inputs (CD, Aux, and Phono) were identical in an electrical input sense. Been a loonng time since I had to be concerned with a record player's connections.

Thanks Galley.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galley View Post

The Phono stage is amplified much higher due to the low signal from vinyl and is really just for turntables.

As Galley said, use any of the other stages: Video/Aux is good if you're using CD already
  • Reply 6 of 7
    You can get a "reverse splitter" (hopefully that makes sense to you) and plug both the iPod and the CD into the same input. As long as you don't have both turned on at the same time, the receiver will never know the difference. Even if you DO play them both at the same time, it won't hurt anything, you'll just get crap through the speakers
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

You can get a "reverse splitter" (hopefully that makes sense to you) and plug both the iPod and the CD into the same input. As long as you don't have both turned on at the same time, the receiver will never know the difference. Even if you DO play them both at the same time, it won't hurt anything, you'll just get crap through the speakers

I've got a switch that I used to switch my son's xbox and a DVD player to one of the tv inputs. Since they don't use the xbox anymore, I think I can use it to switch between one of our dvd players and the iPod (the dvd player's audio output is inputed into the stereo receiver.

Thanks KingOfSomewhereHot.