question about building something with old hard drives...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I have 4 hard drives that i took out of some old pc computers my parents were gonna throw out and was wondering if i could build something with them such as a storage server or something like it? is this possible to do? could i get like a multi storage enclosure and make it into a server?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by J120387 View Post

I have 4 hard drives that i took out of some old pc computers my parents were gonna throw out and was wondering if i could build something with them such as a storage server or something like it? is this possible to do? could i get like a multi storage enclosure and make it into a server?

It might be possible to build something like that from the old HDs. But, unless the HDs are of the same type and capacity, you won't be able to create a RAID using them, so you will not be able to increase speed or reliability of the setup.

In addition, it's probably cheaper to buy a new external HD with higher capacity than the 4 old ones combined. To give you an idea, I've found the Promise NS4300N enclosure (LAN/USB) for 4 HDs for ? 380, a 1GB HD plus external case costs around ? 250.