Can't play ogg files in iTunes (Quicktime works though)

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I installed the XiphQT components, well that is to say, I dragged the file into the library/components folder, and now the files open fine in quicktime.

I want them in my iTunes library however... the XiphQT site says it should work...



Anybodyknow what could be the issue? 10.4.11 btw.



Thanks

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 6
    rob05aurob05au Posts: 348member
    XiphQT plugins are niothing but trouble and do cause problems with QT and itunes from what I remember.



    Which version of itunes are you running as I may have an easy solution as I also use itunes with ogg files at times.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    lorrelorre Posts: 396member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rob05au View Post


    XiphQT plugins are niothing but trouble and do cause problems with QT and itunes from what I remember.



    Which version of itunes are you running as I may have an easy solution as I also use itunes with ogg files at times.



    I have the altest version of iTunes 7.6.2
  • Reply 3 of 6
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,219member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lorre View Post


    I have the altest version of iTunes 7.6.2



    This is not an iTunes issue. It is a codec issue. If you have the XiphQT 0.1.8 codec installed, then you should be set. One has to consider the possibility that your .ogg file is the problem.



    Does the QuickTime Player play the file? If it does not, then perhaps you should share the file with someone here who can test it on his system.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    There is (at least the last time I tested) an odd bug in iTunes where you'll be able to play ogg files on your drive, but you will *not* be able to listen to ogg streams online. This appears to be by design, as the response I got when filing a bug report was "Works as expected."
  • Reply 5 of 6
    lorrelorre Posts: 396member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post


    This is not an iTunes issue. It is a codec issue. If you have the XiphQT 0.1.8 codec installed, then you should be set. One has to consider the possibility that your .ogg file is the problem.



    Does the QuickTime Player play the file? If it does not, then perhaps you should share the file with someone here who can test it on his system.



    Yup, that's the file I downloaded and pasted in the components folder in the library.

    Quicktime plays the files, but when I try to open them with iTunes, I get no response whatsoever, not even an iTunes can't open this file message. Also, I set the default program to open the files to Quicktime and the icons of the files didn't change te quicktime icons, just te blank "default" file icons.
  • Reply 6 of 6

    If the XiphQT components cannot help, you can try to convert OGG to MP4, ALAC, AIFF and more iTunes supported file formats to import OGG to iTunes.

Sign In or Register to comment.