Cell Phone Advice

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hi all.

I'm in the market for a quad-band world phone. Here's the deal:

* I do not have a cell phone plan. I use paygo phones. Right now, I like T-mobile, since it works in the UK and Germany, where I typically spend my time abroad.

* I have *two* world phones and hate both. I have a RAZR and a SLVR. The battery life on both sucks tremendously.

* I do not really care about the phone doing much more than making calls and sending texts. Cameras are nice, but not crucial. Bluetooth is nice, but not crucial.

* I have a Nokia 6030 that works great and that I love. Battery life is fantastic (a week, sometimes, without a charge).

Can anyone recommend a reasonably-priced (i.e. around $100USD) phone that is quad-band? Honestly, I'm tempted to just wait until the next time I'm in Europe to pick up one of their paygo phones, since we get completely, totally, unfailingly ripped off on cell phones in the US, but that will likely be another year.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

Hi all.

I'm in the market for a quad-band world phone. Here's the deal:

* I do not have a cell phone plan. I use paygo phones. Right now, I like T-mobile, since it works in the UK and Germany, where I typically spend my time abroad.

* I have *two* world phones and hate both. I have a RAZR and a SLVR. The battery life on both sucks tremendously.

* I do not really care about the phone doing much more than making calls and sending texts. Cameras are nice, but not crucial. Bluetooth is nice, but not crucial.

* I have a Nokia 6030 that works great and that I love. Battery life is fantastic (a week, sometimes, without a charge).

Can anyone recommend a reasonably-priced (i.e. around $100USD) phone that is quad-band? Honestly, I'm tempted to just wait until the next time I'm in Europe to pick up one of their paygo phones, since we get completely, totally, unfailingly ripped off on cell phones in the US, but that will likely be another year.

Once you try a cheap Sony Ericsson phone you'll never ever go back to a 6030 type cheap Nokia phone. Texting on Nokia is simply painful for anyone who has used SE. And cheap SE phones give you plenty of features that cheap Nokia phones don't give you like connectivity, a much better phonebook, Java etc.

I'm not familiar with the current models, but definitely look at SE, and stay the hell away from Motorola (what were you doing buying Moto in the first place?)
  • Reply 2 of 2
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Once you try a cheap Sony Ericsson phone you'll never ever go back to a 6030 type cheap Nokia phone. Texting on Nokia is simply painful for anyone who has used SE. And cheap SE phones give you plenty of features that cheap Nokia phones don't give you like connectivity, a much better phonebook, Java etc.

I'm not familiar with the current models, but definitely look at SE, and stay the hell away from Motorola (what were you doing buying Moto in the first place?)

I have a T610 when they first came out and found that it had great battery life and crappppppy reception here. But my wife got a nice little SE clamshell in London last summer that is nice, has good battery, lots of features I'll never use, bluetooth, etc etc. And for like £30!