A New Acquisition in the wind for Apple?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Given Apple's new "acquisition" Charles Charnas, what software is out there that Apple might likewise acquire (e.g., Corel, etc.) IF Apple wanted to start a wedge into Adobe's evil empire. Would an Apple-ized WordPerfect make sense? If not these, then what company is out there with cutting edge potential Apple might absorb? In what ways has Apple done this before? What should their long-term outlook be?

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 4
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,146member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by meh 2 View Post


    Given Apple's new "acquisition" Charles Charnas, what software is out there that Apple might likewise acquire (e.g., Corel, etc.) IF Apple wanted to start a wedge into Adobe's evil empire. Would an Apple-ized WordPerfect make sense? If not these, then what company is out there with cutting edge potential Apple might absorb? In what ways has Apple done this before? What should their long-term outlook be?



    Pages is a good enough start no need to refurbish an old stalwart like Wordperfect. Corel's Painter would be a fantastic base to build a graphics hegemony around IMO.



    I think the natural thing would be for Apple to make some acquisitions to bolster whatever fledgling initative they have on Unified Communications. They need to start developing or acquiring VOIP IP and rolling iChat into just a piece of their overall UC strategy. I want my communication apps tied together from Calendaring to IM to Email to phone to mobile/iPhone. They should all work as one cohesive unit.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    ksecksec Posts: 1,549member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post


    Pages is a good enough start no need to refurbish an old stalwart like Wordperfect. Corel's Painter would be a fantastic base to build a graphics hegemony around IMO.



    I think the natural thing would be for Apple to make some acquisitions to bolster whatever fledgling initative they have on Unified Communications. They need to start developing or acquiring VOIP IP and rolling iChat into just a piece of their overall UC strategy. I want my communication apps tied together from Calendaring to IM to Email to phone to mobile/iPhone. They should all work as one cohesive unit.



    Skype. If Ebay sell it for a good enough price.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    thegarthegar Posts: 92member
    - They should have bought Maya, but maybe Cinema 4D now ? Option to integrate in (a flavour of) Final Cut Studio.

    - Keep improving iWork and after a while, integrate Fikemaker (maybe in a 'Pro'-version). With (after a while) a 90% equal functionality than Office, most home and a substantial part of the corporate world could jump to iWork.

    - Buy Suitcase, FontBook sucks.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,146member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by theGAR View Post


    - They should have bought Maya, but maybe Cinema 4D now ? Option to integrate in (a flavour of) Final Cut Studio.

    - Keep improving iWork and after a while, integrate Fikemaker (maybe in a 'Pro'-version). With (after a while) a 90% equal functionality than Office, most home and a substantial part of the corporate world could jump to iWork.

    - Buy Suitcase, FontBook sucks.



    Maya would be a dream app but buying Alias would have brought in a lot of Windows only code that I figured Apple didn't want to deal with. Cinema4D would be nice as well as Luxology for 3D IP. I thought the next logical step for Apple was to deliver a 3D Pro App but they seem to be avoiding that road altogether at this point. Maybe they will in a few years when the timing is perfect.
Sign In or Register to comment.