Apple showing black Dock in iMac Leopard pic?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I don't know if apple may be tweaking the look of forthcoming Leopard point releases, but this pic on the Apple Mac page has me wondering. It is definitely NOT the stock dock color and even contrasts with another pic on the same page.

Take a look:

http://images.apple.com/mac/home/ima...20080125.jpg\\

Interesting, no?

Possibly just an overlooked thing, but it is for sure not the dock color that comes as part of the Leopard install.

the other thing that is somewhat strange is the lack of a light indicator below the Finder icon.

if the Apple site will not let you look at the image, try the page link:

http://images.apple.com/mac/

look at the imac pic in the video that says "Learn your way around a Mac in minutes."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 9secondko View Post

I don't know if apple may be tweaking the look of forthcoming Leopard point releases, but this pic on the Apple Mac page has me wondering. It is definitely NOT the stock dock color and even contrasts with another pic on the same page.

Take a look:

http://images.apple.com/mac/home/ima...20080125.jpg\\

Interesting, no?

Possibly just an overlooked thing, but it is for sure not the dock color that comes as part of the Leopard install.

the other thing that is somewhat strange is the lack of a light indicator below the Finder icon.

This is the correct link. It is difficult to say something about this picture. The fact that the Finder has no light probably means that the picture is Photoshoped for easthetic reasons, which could easily mean that the Dock too is Photoshoped to better fit the Black surroundings. I would not read more than that on this image.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    phlakephlake Posts: 91member
    That is one of the worst Shopped images I've seen in a while. The dock is wrong, no Finder light, the menu bar has the wrong gradient.

It's nearly giving me flashbacks for the OSX themes for Windows XP.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    9secondko9secondko Posts: 929member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Phlake View Post

That is one of the worst Shopped images I've seen in a while. The dock is wrong, no Finder light, the menu bar has the wrong gradient.

It's nearly giving me flashbacks for the OSX themes for Windows XP.

I would have to agree. It is pretty funny especially since Apple is so tight that this kind of stuff almost never happens.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    sport73sport73 Posts: 438member
    I still think my custom-designed Black Glass dock and 'bins' are the bomb:

• Reply 5 of 9
    9secondko9secondko Posts: 929member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sport73 View Post

I still think my custom-designed Black Glass dock and 'bins' are the bomb:

Yep, I have to say, that looks pretty good. I don't really go for the borders around the edge or the rounded thing, but it sure looks cool with that wallpaper.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    s.metcalfs.metcalf Posts: 972member
    You can edit the Apple dock quickly and easily using Preview to make it look darker and nicer (the white dock really is too dominant). Simply back up the s-curve and frontline images in Dock.app (System/Core Services) make another backup to edit. Open images in Preview, in image settings turn brightness down. Save. Delete original images from Dock.app and copy in your modded ones (doesn't work if you try to replace, must delete and copy back in). Restart Finder (or technically restart Dock but restarting Finder will also relaunch Dock :P). Takes a few minutes.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 9secondko View Post

Yep, I have to say, that looks pretty good. I don't really go for the borders around the edge or the rounded thing, but it sure looks cool with that wallpaper.

• Reply 7 of 9
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s.metcalf View Post

You can edit the Apple dock quickly and easily using Preview to make it look darker and nicer (the white dock really is too dominant). Simply back up the s-curve and frontline images in Dock.app (System/Core Services) make another backup to edit. Open images in Preview, in image settings turn brightness down. Save. Delete original images from Dock.app and copy in your modded ones (doesn't work if you try to replace, must delete and copy back in). Restart Finder (or technically restart Dock but restarting Finder will also relaunch Dock :P). Takes a few minutes.

So, this means that it would be trivial for Apple to add some brightness/color control for the Dock in System Preferences, or even Dock themes, right?
  • Reply 8 of 9
    s.metcalfs.metcalf Posts: 972member
    Absolutely!!!
  • Reply 9 of 9
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s.metcalf View Post

Even simpler, download Docker which can let you change the color and other things on your dock for free. I always change my docks to a dark gray, almost black. I think it makes it easier to see the dock.