Nikon Camera Won't Connect

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
This may be a long shot, because my problem is (I think) extremely odd, but I hope someone can help me.

I have a Nikion Coolpix camera that has for the last year successfully transferred pics onto my Mac via USB cable, and a couple days ago the computer suddenly stopped recognizing that the camera is connected.

I don't think I actually installed the camera software on my computer because it seemed to work well without. I'd just plug the camera in, turn it on, and a few seconds later I'd see the little hard disk icon appear on my desktop and I could import the pics through iPhoto or manually drag them in.

I have no guess about why it doesn't work anymore. It really seems that this occurred randomly; one morning I could put pics on, that afternoon I could not. I know it's not my computer because I tried rebooting, and, when that didn't work, I plugged the camera into my mom's computer, which has also accepted photos in the past.

The only thing I can think of (and there really is no non-complicated way to explain it) is that I had dragged a huge batch of photos onto my desktop and later organized them in a single folder, but I selected them all at once and mistakenly moved the hard disk icon into the folder with them--and put it in the trash later. I tried taking it out of the trash once I realized what I did, but that didn't help. So I put it back in the trash and erased it permanently. I hope I haven't ruined the camera somehow?

I'm very confused. And of course all the available help topics only want to ask me things like "Is your hardware plugged in?" As if I'm some kind of moron. Maybe I am though.

Please help! Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    spinnerlysspinnerlys Posts: 218member
    Did you try another flash memory card? Or another USB cable?

Or do you have a flash card reader to try the flash card of your camera?

If your camera has an internal flash memory (like 16 MB perhaps), you could try the following:

remove the external flash card, and let the camera save the pictures on the internal memory. The connect the camera again and see what happens. maybe this way you can rule out the flash card or the camera, whatever is broken.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    bikracerbikracer Posts: 3member
    Happened to me with my DMC-LX2, turned out the card I was using wasn't properly formatted. I lost all the photos on the card but once I had reformatted it in the camera everything began working perfectly again.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    taurontauron Posts: 911member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jeremiah2911 View Post

This may be a long shot, because my problem is (I think) extremely odd, but I hope someone can help me.

I have a Nikion Coolpix camera that has for the last year successfully transferred pics onto my Mac via USB cable, and a couple days ago the computer suddenly stopped recognizing that the camera is connected.

I don't think I actually installed the camera software on my computer because it seemed to work well without. I'd just plug the camera in, turn it on, and a few seconds later I'd see the little hard disk icon appear on my desktop and I could import the pics through iPhoto or manually drag them in.

I have no guess about why it doesn't work anymore. It really seems that this occurred randomly; one morning I could put pics on, that afternoon I could not. I know it's not my computer because I tried rebooting, and, when that didn't work, I plugged the camera into my mom's computer, which has also accepted photos in the past.

The only thing I can think of (and there really is no non-complicated way to explain it) is that I had dragged a huge batch of photos onto my desktop and later organized them in a single folder, but I selected them all at once and mistakenly moved the hard disk icon into the folder with them--and put it in the trash later. I tried taking it out of the trash once I realized what I did, but that didn't help. So I put it back in the trash and erased it permanently. I hope I haven't ruined the camera somehow?

I'm very confused. And of course all the available help topics only want to ask me things like "Is your hardware plugged in?" As if I'm some kind of moron. Maybe I am though.

Please help! Thanks.

Buy this one, it will work: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16830120332
  • Reply 4 of 9
    lesialesia Posts: 1member

The exact same thing has happened to my Nikon L26. That's why I'm here - trying to figure out what went wrong. I've been doing everything exactly as you described except the part about putting something in the trash- I didn't do that, and didn't really understand what you were talking about, but it doesn't matter since I didn't. Today it simply stopped transferring pictures. Up until a couple days ago, I couldn't get the self-timer to work, then suddenly it started working on its own. It began taking one picture after another. But then, when I tried to get it to repeat that process, nothing doing! So now it won't download pics. This camera is possessed. I don't like it, and wish I had never bought it.

• Reply 5 of 9

Hi Lesia et al., I feel your pain when it comes to the Coolpix.  I have been a loyal Coolpix user since I bought my first one around 2008.  Even though I've had plenty of trouble.  The lens transporting mechanism konked out suddenly on my first one after two years of ownership, and like a fool I bought another one, the L26 I bought last year.  My current camera takes pictures when it wants to.  Sometimes I'll press the shutter release button, and it just beeps at me.  Anyway, now I am trying to transfer pics to my MacBook, and my MacBook is ignoring it.  Any helpful info would be appreciated. 

• Reply 6 of 9
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    Try buying one of those cheap USB multi format card readers to transfer your pics.

Assuming your cards are ok then those devices will connect without manufacturer issues.
  • Reply 7 of 9

Thank you for the idea, Rob.  I may spring for one of those gadgets.  Right now when I need to download pics from my camera, I jump on my wife's computer, download them there, and then email them to myself.  Not a permanent solution.

• Reply 8 of 9

I had the same problem. I purchased a new USB cord and my computer won't recognize it so I stuck my memory card

into the computer and it said I needed to format it, so I went to format it and it said all pictures would be erased and still

an message came on and said it could NOT be formatted. I am calling Nikon tomorrow and if they try and charge me

money to solve this problem or can't I am throwing this camera into a river and buying a CANON. Of course any suggestions

would be appreciated as I am not made of money.

• Reply 9 of 9

Perhaps try getting a USB chord directly from Nikon?  I know, it's frustrating, my CoolPix is working okay at the moment, but it is capricious at best.  Same here, my next camera will not be a Nikon.