Report waves caution at shadiness of would-be Mac clone maker

Comments

• Reply 81 of 108
    spindriftspindrift Posts: 674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xirtus View Post

well said, you beat me right to the punch...

I feel like saying, "what???? nerds building computers from their house to sell on the internet? thats utterly absurd! name one company, one company that started that way! -except for all of them... before they became incorporated and infested with the aristocratical shareholders like a virus"

it's almost preposterous I know, but there was a time before the old neonazis had so successfully crossed over wallstreet...

I remember when the google kids tried to rent out my grandfathers office and he said no because he thought it sounded silly...

now they have a masonic temple of their own...

all I'm saying is buy a computer from this guy first instead of stocking his house and putting your findings up on this site like it was anonym0us or something...

The difference is, when Apple started out in Steve's garage they built their own hardware and wrote their software. All this guy is doing is putting generic machines together and trying to make a quick buck off the Apple brand. There's a difference between a parasite and an innovator.
  • Reply 82 of 108
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    What IF this is just a bid for attention? How much would a company have to pay for ALL the publicity this has brought?

NOW THAT I HAVE ALL YOUR ATTENTION, THIS IS WHAT I'M REALLY SELLING!
  • Reply 83 of 108
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

Didn't B. Gates sell someone else's OS to IBM? He did pay around $50 k for it, but he didn't build it.

As I recall, he didn't own it, had never seen it, or had met the guy before promising IBM.
  • Reply 84 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpinDrift View Post

The difference is, when Apple started out in Steve's garage they built their own hardware and wrote their software. All this guy is doing is putting generic machines together and trying to make a quick buck off the Apple brand. There's a difference between a parasite and an innovator.

Cheers, that's exactly what I tried to say earlier, just much less eloquently.
  • Reply 85 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

What IF this is just a bid for attention? How much would a company have to pay for ALL the publicity this has brought?

NOW THAT I HAVE ALL YOUR ATTENTION, THIS IS WHAT I'M REALLY SELLING!

That's a pretty crappy marketing technique "I'm going to make sure eberyone knows who I am and at the same time I'll make sure no-one trusts me, then I'll try and sell them something"

If that tactic works, there is no hope for the future of our society
  • Reply 86 of 108
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    Hey there must be someone who lives in the area, PLEASE go take some pictures, and visit the place, then give us an up-date.

Skip
  • Reply 87 of 108
    Felt like chiming in.

There are some early apparitions of the psystar website on archive.org:

http://web.archive.org/web/*/Psystar.com

Judging from the longevity of the slogan, they seem to have been "reinventing the wheel" for over seven years. Congrats to company employee Robert and possible coworkers for finally sharing with the general public this project that was in the works since 2001. Incredible wheeling and dealing.

Late 2001, the wheel is under construction:

http://web.archive.org/web/200112022...w.psystar.com/

Early 2002, tentative/secretive unveiling of the wheel:

http://web.archive.org/web/200607030...w.psystar.com/

Regarding the "cheap" Mac idea: Apple obviously is not a charity and therefore under no obligation to release an affordable or whatever Mac for the masses. (If they consider it a good idea, financially and otherwise, they certainly may in the future.)

One last thing; if you consider Mac a monopoly, then I'm afraid you're under the spell of a certain marketing idea (that you can't do/live without a Mac and that it's bread and butter for you). Welcome to the world of the Mac-obsessed and wish you rapid recovery so you may learn to make light of your condition and relegate the Mac from being a basic good to a sexy fixation.
  • Reply 88 of 108
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member
    Every company has to start somewhere. None of this is proof of anything other than they are a brand new company.
  • Reply 89 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

Every company has to start somewhere. None of this is proof of anything other than they are a brand new company.

Quote:

What's more, Psystar appears to have hastily relocated on Tuesday to an industrial park within Miami's north-west side, according to an address change posted to its website

Quote:

The most recent industrial park address for Psystar belongs to a packing supply firm called USA KOEN PACK whose manager has never heard of Psystar.

If this is a legitimate new company why did they change their address to a location that they do not own and has never heard of them.
  • Reply 90 of 108
    wheelhotwheelhot Posts: 465member
    Its a SCAM!, the company image has been tarnished so its obvious Apple is waiting to see what's going to happen to the situation.

If the company starts selling and delivered their product, Apple will send their lawyers.
  • Reply 91 of 108
    samnuvasamnuva Posts: 225member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

According to the latest.... this might be a stunt from a t-shirt company, or even Steve Wozniak... wouldn't that be a hoot!

I think you've on to something with the Woz thing.
  • Reply 92 of 108
    bapbap Posts: 4member
    [QUOTE=AppleInsider;1241072]A brief investigation into Psystar Corporation reveals the self-proclaimed Mac cloner maker to have no operating history prior to this week, and further suggests the company may be little more than one-man basement operation.

Has anyone noticed the similarity between Psystar and Shyster. This may be one elaborate but late April Fool's gag.

Also, the Box does not appear to be significantly better than a MacMini, given the moderate cost differential and the unknown components used. I agree with one of the other posters, I use my MacMini for a media center and need quiet operation.

I also hope that this spurs apple to come out with a midrange tower at $1000 to 1200
  • Reply 93 of 108
    sapporobabysapporobaby Posts: 1,079member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

As if this wasn't enough, now Steve Woz is throwing his monkey into this 3-ring circus.

But it's HIS money. So why care?
  • Reply 94 of 108
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    Apple is not going to do anything until this company starts shipping a product. Otherwise it's all just hearsay.
  • Reply 95 of 108
    superbasssuperbass Posts: 688member
    Not surprising how all of the pro-mac sites are posting super-negative articles about this since it might detract from the specialness of their toys.

I mean, what's the damage to Mac users if Psystar wants to make their Mac clone - if you don't wan't it, don't buy it!

Just because they're making it doesn't mean the quality of your computer is going to drop. If anything, it'll make Apple lower it's prices in the future or design their own upgradeable low-cost computer...

I really don't see anybody losing here except maybe Apple stockholders and fanboys whose material egos get bruised by the thought that OSX could be put into a much cheaper machine. Since the Intel switch, the fanboys have only really been able to gloat over OSX and how cool their computer looks, and now they're going to lose OSX - boo hoo!
  • Reply 96 of 108
    sapporobabysapporobaby Posts: 1,079member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Woz is to Apple the way that Jimmy Carter is to politics.

Both are irrelevant and somewhat annoying.

Darn skippy. What's wrong with Jimmy Carter? Wanting to feed the poor, wanting fairness for all people, calling Israel's policies Apartheid. He must be some sort liberal or progressive. Screw him. We need more preemptive wars based on lies and half truths.

BOMB IRAN NOW!!!!

Be nice to the US or we will bring democracy to your country.
  • Reply 97 of 108
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    All right people, I think psystars 15 minutes of fame has expired.

Move along, nothing left here to see.
  • Reply 98 of 108
    Insanity!!
  • Reply 99 of 108
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    If we take a look at the picture at the top of the page here:

http://macapper.com/2008/01/19/diy-h...o-for-cheap/5/

does anyone actually prefer the appearance of the iMac to the dual display setup?

People can't get that setup on anything less than a Mac Pro and this is a huge problem. I don't really care much about price but obviously within reason but I want the setup I want and Apple is not accommodating this.

As soon as companies start to dictate how people use their personal products, people rebel against it. DRM is a very important example.

I would be disappointed if this Open Computer came to nothing because Apple seriously need a good hard kick in the ass on this issue - they're just being plain ignorant.

It's also been over 8 months since the last Mini or iMac update!!! COME ONNNNNN! And all we're getting is a CPU bump and possibly smaller enclosures, which nobody even cares about. Does anyone want a smaller Mini or a thinner iMac?

Even if this product never comes to fruition, which seems likely if the OSX86 people aren't too happy with it, it demonstrates that there is a demand for a mid-range tower. Admittedly the price is also appealing but if Apple made the same Core 2 Duo or Core 2 Quad with a reasonable markup, people would still buy it from Apple.
  • Reply 100 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marc OSX View Post

If it smells like a scam then it is a scam. The guy obviously thought he saw a grey area in Apple's EULA and decided to have a go at exposing it. End of story.

Do explain how what you said has any basis for this thing to be described as a "scam". Even better, do explain how anything the company has done can be construed as a scam.

And, before you ostracize me as being anti Apple, you should know I've been a Mac user, since the Apple II days and purchased a PowerMac 9600 for 9k, when they were first released. I currently own a Powermac G5 and a MacBook Pro, as well as a slew of Windows and Linux boxes.

The thing that turns me off about Apple, nowadays, is their lackluster build quality and migration away from original, Apple culture. I purchase a 30GB Apple iPod, back when they were $400, and after six months. when it went south, Apple told me I was out of luck and they'd charge me for a new one or any repairs. Needless to say, I found an alternative and now use XM and Sirius, when I'm on the go and just listen to my collection of over 200GB of digital music, when I'm at home.

Now, you may not be seasoned enough to remember a time, when Apple cared about their OS. If you have a computer that will run it, pop in a copy of OS 9, take yourself back a few years, and you'll see there's something more magical than our "contemporary" OS. I'm not saying X is horrific, but it's just a very solid, decent OS and nothing revolutionary.

Revolutionary is a hard term for some contemporary Apple folks to grasp. It has nothing to do with the amount of units Apple moves, as you'll recall Apple survived for many years, with a shrinking share of the overall pie. Any credit given to Jobs about moving computers and iPods is crap, as though it has anything to do with some sort of "revolution".

I'm not alone here, but many would argue that Apples best years were, when Jobs was outfoxed and forced to do is NeXT fiasco, back when the Macs ran as much as a car and this whole digital revolution occurred with writers, artists, and musicians.

The point with all this is I applaud this guy, child, or infant, whoever he may be, for taking a go at this, so long as it's not a scam. If it turns out to be a scam, then I'll be the first to scream foul. But, him living in his parent's house, on the moon, or in some renovated, ostentatious warehouse in the Valley has nothing to do with his ability to produce hardware. What a bunch of superficial ignorance.