CompUSA Re-Opening

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Tonight I received an email from TigerDirect stating that their parent company has acquired CompUSA and will be having grand re-openings this Friday. Interesting.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    Not at my location. It's something else now.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    royboyroyboy Posts: 458member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThinkingDifferent View Post

Tonight I received an email from TigerDirect stating that their parent company has acquired CompUSA and will be having grand re-openings this Friday. Interesting.

In Tampa, Florida, USA, both stores closed. One store had a grand opening a few weeks ago for the New CompUSA.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    One in Clearwater, FL, has been open for a month or more.

I went to get a 1TB hard drive from them. It was in an OEM pack (sealed by the manufacturer in an anti-static bag, but in a blister pack instead of a retail box)--but it was $70 cheaper than Best Buy, so I bought it.

When I powered it, it made a sound like fifty steel ball-bearings in a KitchenAid mixer.

I immediately powered it down and removed it. It made little clinking noises as it shifted orientation. The funniest part here (if you like dark humor) is that the drive in question was the replacement for another drive that had just failed catastrophically.

CompUSA refunded my money with no issue whatsoever. They offered a replacement drive, but I declined and ordered one from Newegg instead.

Could have been the drive manufacturer. Could be the new CompUSA. Could be coincidence. I'd stick to retail boxes if I had to buy from them, though.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    I am tempted to be at the store when the doors open at 7 AM to get one of the $29.95 500G SATA drives that will be on sale.