"top" question

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I'm looking at the output in top, and there is a line that I'm not sure I understand:

PhysMem: 97.6M wired, 137M active, 582M inactive, 817M used, 335M free

I tried "man top" but it didn't tell me anything that would explain the above. I guess what really got me going was the "582 inactive". I thought "inactive", what does that mean? Anyway, if anyone could explain the different components of that line to me, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

[ 04-28-2002: Message edited by: fuzz_ball ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    [quote]Originally posted by fuzz_ball:

<strong>I'm looking at the output in top, and there is a line that I'm not sure I understand:

PhysMem: 97.6M wired, 137M active, 582M inactive, 817M used, 335M free

I tried "man top" but it didn't tell me anything that would explain the above. I guess what really got me going was the "582 inactive". I thought "inactive", what does that mean? Anyway, if anyone could explain the different components of that line to me, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

[ 04-28-2002: Message edited by: fuzz_ball ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

97.6 MB Wired - memory that is allocated and "wired" in RAM; cannot be paged out

137 MB Active - memory that is allocated and has been used recently; can be paged out

582 MB Inactive - memory that is allocated and has not been used recently; can be paged out

817 MB Used = (97.6 MB Wired) + (137 MB Active) + (582 MB Inactive)

335 MB Free = memory that is not allocated and can be used

Total RAM = (817 MB Used) + (335 MB Free) = 1152 MB
  • Reply 2 of 2
    fuzz_ballfuzz_ball Posts: 390member
    Thank you!