Nvidia 8800 GT Fan Operation

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi Folks,

I just upgraded my Mac Pro 1st generation installing a new Nvidia 8800GT video card. I would appreciate any feedback from either 1st generation owners just installing as I have or Mac Pro 08 owners with the 8800GT installed on fan operations characteristics.

Since installation on my unit, the fan only comes on at startup, for about 3-4 seconds then shuts off, and I never hear it again. Is this normal? Can anyone with experience comment on similar specs, or should the fan be running more often?

I have contacted Nvidia, they told me to contact Apple. I contacted Apple and they tell me they have no specs on the cards fan operation guidelines.

I am not having any problems, but would like to know what I should or should not expect.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Jim

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    name101name101 Posts: 79member
    Hey,

It is normal for a Computer to have the fans at full speed while booting up.

then when the operating has started up. it goes into a power saving mode. slowing the fans because there is very little heat produced from the graphics card/cards. and the fans do not need to be running at a high speed.

but if you do digital rendering and do something that uses the graphics card. you may hear the fan speed up.

~Regards

Name101
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Name101 View Post

Hey,

It is normal for a Computer to have the fans at full speed while booting up.

then when the operating has started up. it goes into a power saving mode. slowing the fans because there is very little heat produced from the graphics card/cards. and the fans do not need to be running at a high speed.

but if you do digital rendering and do something that uses the graphics card. you may hear the fan speed up.

~Regards

Name101

Ok, many thanks. My concern was that the fan never comes on at all, other than at startup. But I am not having any kind of graphics problems, so I guess I won't be too concerned until something happens.

Jim
  • Reply 3 of 5
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jasdelt View Post

Ok, many thanks. My concern was that the fan never comes on at all, other than at startup. But I am not having any kind of graphics problems, so I guess I won't be too concerned until something happens.

I think the fan should be spinning at least a little. Are you sure it's not on, do you see it not spin, or are you going by the sound?
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I think the fan should be spinning at least a little. Are you sure it's not on, do you see it not spin, or are you going by the sound?

Thanks for your reply. I just took the cover off with power on and it "is" spinning a little, which tells me its working as it should.

Again thanks,

Jim
  • Reply 5 of 5
    rezwitsrezwits Posts: 878member
    I can't believe there aren't any other reports about the new 8800 in 1st gen Mac Pros!!! Anyone else have any results after getting one? Like how they are? Because 55 fps with a 7300 in UT2004, and then 220 fps in UT2004 is a big jump. :P

Laters...

ps I know barefeats.com has some results