VMWare Fusion: drag 'n drop doesnt work in Ubuntu

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hi all,



I created a Ubuntu VM on my mac and installed the VMWare tool stuff. Now the mouseover thing and auto screen resizing works, but I can't copy and paste files into my VM...



Is this impossible with Linux or did something go wrong when installing it?



Also, visual performance is really poor, when I drag a window around it moves at a very poor framerate. In Windows XP this is also the case but not as badly, can something be done to improve either of these problems?



Thanks in advance.

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 9
    yamayama Posts: 427member
    Sounds like VMWare tools are not installed on the client OS.



    However, I don't know if VMWare tools are available for Ubuntu...
  • Reply 2 of 9
    jbpostaljbpostal Posts: 1member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yama View Post


    Sounds like VMWare tools are not installed on the client OS.



    However, I don't know if VMWare tools are available for Ubuntu...



    VM Ware tools are available for Ubuntu but I think there might be some problem in your Vm ware.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    physguyphysguy Posts: 916member
    Did you install Ubuntu 804? If so, the current tools from VMware do not work. Instructions here to use the open tools version. I've gotten these working just fine.



    http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-4810
  • Reply 4 of 9
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    How did you guys download the virtual appliance?



    I can't seem to get the ubuntu vm to download from the VM website.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    physguyphysguy Posts: 916member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post


    How did you guys download the virtual appliance?



    I can't seem to get the ubuntu vm to download from the VM website.



    I installed from the ubuntu .iso image from scratch.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by physguy View Post


    I installed from the ubuntu .iso image from scratch.



    I was hoping to install a virtual appliance to avoid hassles since its already configured and the tools are installed.



    I may have to do it the old fashioned way.



    Crap. All I want to do is give Ubuntu a test drive. I've never used it and thought this would be a good way to 'dip my toes into the water', so to speak.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    lorrelorre Posts: 396member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by physguy View Post


    Did you install Ubuntu 804? If so, the current tools from VMware do not work. Instructions here to use the open tools version. I've gotten these working just fine.



    http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-4810



    Aha, that must be the reason. Thanks!



    I'll just wait a while then for VMWare to update the tools. It's not like I really need the Ubuntu, it's just there for fun. Too bad all their tools are optimized vor the business linuxes, I'd like to give Fedora a spin but I don't see the tools available.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    physguyphysguy Posts: 916member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post


    I was hoping to install a virtual appliance to avoid hassles since its already configured and the tools are installed.



    I may have to do it the old fashioned way.



    Crap. All I want to do is give Ubuntu a test drive. I've never used it and thought this would be a good way to 'dip my toes into the water', so to speak.



    FYI the tools work fine on Ubuntu 7?? (Can't remember the digits) so if you grab that .iso its very straight forward.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    lorrelorre Posts: 396member
    http://peterc.org/2008/62-how-to-ins...re-fusion.html



    Following this step by step got the tools working here, I can now drag and drop into the VM, yay! However, mouse scrolling doesn't work... very weird, but oh well... I'll let one of my linux geek friends look into that :-p
Sign In or Register to comment.