MacBook Air revision

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Can anyone tell me if there has been a revision to the MacBook Air since it first came out? I am thinking of purchasing one for travel but I have heard that there were problems with the early ones. I am planning on purchasing one in the next week or so. Any comments would be appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dsosb View Post

Can anyone tell me if there has been a revision to the MacBook Air since it first came out?

Have there been adjustments to the manufacturing and assembly process? Definitely. Has there been a formal revision? Not that I know of.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    dsosbdsosb Posts: 52member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

Have there been adjustments to the manufacturing and assembly process? Definitely. Has there been a formal revision? Not that I know of.

Do you happen to know what the adjustments addressed?
  • Reply 3 of 14
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dsosb View Post

Do you happen to know what the adjustments addressed?

This is not public information, just tweaks that are made to operations.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    dsosbdsosb Posts: 52member
    Thanks very much.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    I heard they were increasing the screen size to 15.4". Plus adding 25 usb ports and 15 firewire ports, plus a docking station port, plus three internal optical drives. Oh, and don't forget about the four user-replaceable batteries!
  • Reply 6 of 14
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    My first MBA (one of the first to arrive in Japan) died after three weeks due to a bad fan. The next one had a badly tilted screen. Another week and I got a version 1.1 that has worked fine. That was a few weeks ago so they may have tweaked it even more. Don't know the details of the tweaks, but they are fairly constant.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    tailpipetailpipe Posts: 345member
    My bet is that the first MacBook Air revision will come in September.

I imagine it will get a slightly faster chip using less power, based on the forthcoming Intel Centrino 2 platform operating at speeds of up to 1.86 Ghz (see Intel processor Roadmap for details). it should also offer larger hard drive options, possibly 128 Gb or 160 GB SSD and 128 Gb to 256 Gb HDD.

I don't expect the physical design to change at all. If it were to be improved, the only things i'd change would be an additional USB port. Period. It might help if Apple offered its own USB hub specifically designed for the Air but with Ethernet, Firewire 1600 and three USB 2.0 ports. Alternatively, a docking station with the additional ports and a DVD drive would also be good.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    his dudenesshis dudeness Posts: 560member
    Now it's no longer the Macbook Air, but a Macbook Pro. Which, iirc, is already in Apple's lineup. \
  • Reply 9 of 14
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by His Dudeness View Post

Now it's no longer the Macbook Air, but a Macbook Pro. Which, iirc, is already in Apple's lineup. \

LOL - how true.

It's always the same thing - add everything back that Apple took out to make it what it is. I think it needs a couple of extra hard drive bays and a user-replaceable northbridge chip so I can upgrade the frontside bus.

FireWire 1600 running off a USB 2.0 port....
  • Reply 10 of 14
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    It needs 4GB of RAM to give the HDD some relief.

2GB of RAM on the MacBook Air just doesn't cut it, I'm afraid.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    Mine works just fine with 2GB of RAM.

Got a little over four hours out of the battery today with some wireless surfing; not bad at all.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

It needs 4GB of RAM to give the HDD some relief.

2GB of RAM on the MacBook Air just doesn't cut it, I'm afraid.

That may be true if you have looked at the pageouts on a particular machine.

If you don't have many pageouts, then it definitely is "cutting it" just fine.

When the Air was released, I don't think Apple could have made 4GB the standard without raising the price too much. The resale price would have plummeted very fast when the price of the 2GB chips came down.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them either make 4GB standard on the next revision, or (less likely) offer 4GB as a BTO option. Making a separate SKU costs money.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    his dudenesshis dudeness Posts: 560member
    Well, hell, I think Apple could make 16 gigs standard without raising the price...
  • Reply 14 of 14
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Now that's an idea! I'm quite interested, though in whether the 2 GB are the cap and so keep things running long enough to really be a functional travel, work away from the office, use in the Library, or field work kind of work tool?