Xcode 3 Distributed Builds Disappointment

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I just finished installing Mac OS X Server 10.5.2 on my Mac Pro and was hoping to get into compiling from my MacBook laptop using Xcode 3 and distributed builds.

Unfortunately, when I went to Xcode prefs the distributed builds section reported that my machines were incompatible with each other. They were both 10.5.2, both i386, Xcode 3 beta 3, both gcc 3.3 (1823), and both gcc 4.0.1 (5478). What was the problem? The build numbers were different. My MacBook was 10.5.2 Client (Build 9C7010), and my Mac Pro was 10.5.2 Server (Build 9C31).

Just because one was a Client Build and the other was a Server Build, that makes them incompatible with each other.

Now I have to basically install Server on my MacBook. <OR> Client on my Mac Pro.

That is pretty weak I think

Does anyone know of a way to edit/hack the Build number of Mac OS X 10.5?

Would greatly be appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    rob05aurob05au Posts: 348member
    I would suggest getting Xcode 3.0 full version as you have posted you are using a beta which maybe the cause of your issues with some parts of it not working.

There is also a pdf file on the ADC site which outlines how to get distributable builds to correctly work.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Xcode 3.0 is no longer in beta.

Download is over 1Gb from ADC.

Sign up for your free membership, update the documentation and read up. Make sure you have the same Xcode for both systems.

Distcc: http://distcc.samba.org/faq.html
  • Reply 3 of 3
    rezwitsrezwits Posts: 879member
    I ended up changing both systems to Mac OS X Client 10.5.2 (Build 9C7010) and now it works. They are both using the Xcode 3.1 Beta 3... iPhone sdk.

Laters...

Hope this helps someone in the future.