Desktop_.ini

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
First time poster here, hoping a few geniuses out there can lend a quick hand.

I have a fairly large directory on my Time Capsule that I keep trying to remove using my MBP, but every time I toss it in the trash I get an error that I cannot delete the file "desktop_.ini" (not dekstop.ini, but desktop_.ini) because it is in use.

So I do a quick search of the folder and lo and behold there are dozens of these files. So I decide to try removing one by opening the Info box and unckecking 'locked.'

About 1 second later the locked rechecks itself. I quickly verify that I've logged into the Time Capsule with both read & write access, and try again. Same result.

A little digging around on the internet and I'm seeing that this is very likely some sort of virus.

So here are my questions:

1) Any good anti-virus recommendations for OS X 10.5?

2) Is there an easier way around this that doesn't involve erasing my entire Time Capsule?

Any feedback here would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    Not a Mac virus - there aren't any known viruses widely available for the Mac and none that behave like that.

It seems to be a set of Windows files, OS X doesn't make desktop_.ini files AFAIK. What you can try is moving to trash and then choosing secure empty trash from the Finder file menu.

If that doesn't work, try using the terminal (/Applications/Utilities/terminal) and type rm -rf and drag the folder into the terminal window. Be careful using this command. If it won't allow it, you can use sudo rm -rf and drag it in and then type your password.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Thanks a ton mate! Worked like a charm!
  • Reply 3 of 5
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Marvin,

I think AI ought to pay you to stay in this forum.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Wow, care to give my problem a shot?
  • Reply 5 of 5
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

Marvin,

I think AI ought to pay you to stay in this forum.

Being able to help people is payment enough. It sounds lame but I actually enjoy being able to sort people's problems.

There are lots of other people here who know these answers too and I'm sure they would help just the same.