How to get Mail to stop automatically downloading messages from IMAP accounts

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Would like to manually check for messages for my IMAP accounts but mail seems to want to download them automatically no matter what. An ideas?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    rob05aurob05au Posts: 348member
    Try this it may help

Mail => Preferences => Check Mail => set it to Manually

Quit and restart mail now it should only show new mail when manually checked.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    That would be the logical fix but does not seem to work for IMAP -- only for POP. Thanks though...
  • Reply 3 of 6
    physguyphysguy Posts: 920member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alhagar View Post

That would be the logical fix but does not seem to work for IMAP -- only for POP. Thanks though...

Are you using 10.5? If so, did you also uncheck the 'IDLE' checkbox? I think you need to do this also.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    rob05aurob05au Posts: 348member
    Hmmm I will look further into it and see what I can find.

It may be a lacking feature or yet another bug in mail.app

I will post if I find something that works as I also I am using IMAP in mail.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rob05au View Post

Hmmm I will look further into it and see what I can find.

It may be a lacking feature or yet another bug in mail.app

I will post if I find something that works as I also I am using IMAP in mail.

Setting it to manual in Tiger 10.4.11 works as advertised.

I'm not on OS X Leopard until 10.5.3 is released to verify.

If you are on 10.4.11 and cannot get this behavior to work I would check our mail server settings to make sure it supports this. If you don't run your own mail server that might be a bit more difficult.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Setting it to manual in Tiger 10.4.11 works as advertised.

I'm not on OS X Leopard until 10.5.3 is released to verify.

If you are on 10.4.11 and cannot get this behavior to work I would check our mail server settings to make sure it supports this. If you don't run your own mail server that might be a bit more difficult.

I am running 10.5.2. Happens with IMAP mail from both .mac account and my work account. Would hate to have to switch back to POP as I use 2 different computers!