Anyone upgrade to Ubuntu 8.0.4 yet?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I have one machine upgrading to it right now and at least two others in the house that I would like for it to go on. Seems like the last release had a load of issues with wireless cards. Anyone know if this one is going about it any better?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

I have one machine upgrading to it right now and at least two others in the house that I would like for it to go on. Seems like the last release had a load of issues with wireless cards. Anyone know if this one is going about it any better?

If they'd ever get it working with Netflix, I'd drop it on a couple of old compys I have in a heartbeat.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    guinnessguinness Posts: 473member
    Runs a bit better than 7.10 x64, in terms of application/Windows compatibility, Compiz, OOo 2.4, FF3, but worse in wireless. Split on the graphics - games now work, but it has a weird shuttering/tearing issue when in fullscreen.

I still have to use ndiswrapper to get the Atheros card working in my laptop, and it's only worked once. It sees both my access points, but it will not connect.

And for some reason, even though I installed VLC, I can't get copy-protected DVDs to play.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Well you have made out much better than me. I let the software upgrade app install the update and ended up dumped to the prompt after the update. Now I'll have to download the CD itself, attempt to repair and if that doesn't work reinstall.

I haven't had much luck with Ubuntu updates so far.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    guinnessguinness Posts: 473member
    Quote:

Well you have made out much better than me. I let the software upgrade app install the update and ended up dumped to the prompt after the update. Now I'll have to download the CD itself, attempt to repair and if that doesn't work reinstall.

I haven't had much luck with Ubuntu updates so far.

Getting dumped to the prompt is OK - it probably means that it couldn't start the X server.

Running the command below should do the trick:

'sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg'

It will reset the X server configuration, step through setting up the KB and mouse, and try and detect your video card.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=184965

As for myself, the upgrade seemed to do OK at first, but I left my laptop on over night, and let it do its thing, but when I came back, the screensaver was frozen up. Did a cold reboot, and it came up to a blank X window, it wouldn't even let me start the terminal (I have it mapped to Ctrl+T).

Downloaded the x64 DVD iso, and wiped 7.10, installed 8.04. I'm now pretty much where I'm at. Only if wireless was reliable on Linux, I'd be happy.

Although I'm convinced now, that OS upgrades are generally bad; I've done it with Win2k to XP, Tiger to Leopard, and then 7.10 to 8.04, and I've always ended up doing a clean install. \
  • Reply 5 of 7
    If by wireless, you mean Broadcom, then it's not Linux's fault. Broadcom drivers in Linux suck big hairy donkey balls. That's a generally known fact in the Universe.

Any other type of wireless hardware is good.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    I upgraded my Ubuntu Mail Server at the weekend.

Halfway through, we had a 4hr power-outage and I feared the worst.

The mangled half-installation would not boot - but eventually did safe-boot.

I managed to complete the installation by issuing a command line command.

Seems to work - and I was impressed that the upgrade did not trample on the system stuff I had changed.

I now have it ...

...playing nicely with Bonjour

...auto updating TZO to maintain a dynamic DNS entry

...running an FTP server and I even have

...my own IMAP email server!

But it took a lot of .conf file experiments and daemon restarts to get it into that state.

C.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

If they'd ever get it working with Netflix, I'd drop it on a couple of old compys I have in a heartbeat.

Are you suggesting that Neflix should keep copies of Linux distros on hand? If so, that is a great idea.

Quote:

I have. It's better than previous versions, but I'd still not recommend it to non-technical people over OS X or even Windows. Until it gets that simple to use Linux will never have a decent consumer marketshare.

How are you liking it?