Purchase advice

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
With all the talk of the new iMac upgrades for Tuesday, would anyone here have a guess on what the current refurb 24" 2.8 extreme might be priced at after the announcement (currently 2k with tax)? I have been waiting for the updates to come out in hopes that the current refurb prices may drop but I have no experience in this.

Another question would be is the 2.8 extreme worth it? I would be doing some work in CS3/quark on the machine but mostly using it as a home computer (e-mail, surf, general apps). If possible I would like this new purchase to be relevant for at least the next 3 years.

Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    aquamacaquamac Posts: 585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Murphin' Mojo View Post

With all the talk of the new iMac upgrades for Tuesday, would anyone here have a guess on what the current refurb 24" 2.8 extreme might be priced at after the announcement (currently 2k with tax)? I have been waiting for the updates to come out in hopes that the current refurb prices may drop but I have no experience in this.

Another question would be is the 2.8 extreme worth it? I would be doing some work in CS3/quark on the machine but mostly using it as a home computer (e-mail, surf, general apps). If possible I would like this new purchase to be relevant for at least the next 3 years.

Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated...

The 2.8 24" iMac is a solid machine. Unless you are going to play games, video or do 3D rendering you should be set for 3 years or so, no problem. You should max out your ram with less expensive 3rd party ram too.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Well looks like the refurb is $1599. I am in the same boat as you...trying to decide between the old 2.8 ghz with a 500 GB hard drive or the new 2.8 ghz with the 320 GB hard drive but faster RAM and front bus side.

I called the Apple store on my campus and they had one unopened 2.8 ghz extreme which I have put on reserve. They are waiting to see what Apple will drop the price to before they sell it to me but I think it will be $1599. Is the $100 savings and a larger hard drive worth giving up the speed?

After thinking about it today I am starting to lean towards the current version of the machine because of the increased speed and processing power. I like the larger hard drive on the older unit but figure that externals are cheap enough so I can buy one of those.

Of course if they call me tomorrow and say the system I have on hold has dropped to $1399 or $1499 I might be swayed again.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Thank you both for the responses and advice - when I saw the drop this morning I went ahead and bought the refurbished 2.8 extreme. I have been waiting a while for a new machine and this seems like a nice savings.

AquaMac - thank you for the ram advice - that will be the first thing I do.

schmoopy.design - good luck with your decision as well - hopefully the price does drop a bit for you.