Help buying a DV camcorder for webcam with 2008 Mac Pro

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I am needing to get some feedback from anyone out there that can recommend or currently uses a DV camcorder with a firewire or USB connection as a high-end webcam with their mac running leapard. I searched the forum and found several threads, but most of the cams have been discontinued by now. Basically, I just want a very good DV camcorder I can mount to my tri-pod and use as a webcam with a 2008 mac pro. I know I can use some Logitech models like the 9000, but it won't give me the image or the pan, tilt, swivel I will use with my remote control tri-pod so that's why I cam looking at a DV camcorder option, plus the better image quality.

NOTE: I currently have a USB Sony camcorder and can copy my recordings to and from the unit and it shows up as a device in my Mac Pro. However, I can not get it to function as a webcam at all with any apps. Am I overlooking something or what will a DV cam do that this one can't for a webcam?

Any advice from those doing this now, what I should look for and get would be appreciated.

Thanks.