MBP Sound Woes

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi, first off, great forum, very helpful.



MBP was plugged into an external speaker source from the headphone port. Now, there is a red I/R light coming from the port and the internal speakers will not work. You can plug in phones and you get audio.



I went into sys pref to turn the output back on and there is no output available.



Any help out there?

TIA

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 5
    s.metcalfs.metcalf Posts: 872member
    No idea, but a stab in the dark could be that it's stuck looking for an optical audio connection...? Did you use an optical audio cable? Do you have access to one to plug one in?
  • Reply 2 of 5
    drazztikkadrazztikka Posts: 240member
    I think it should automatically switch if U plug in a fiberglass cable.

    I just checked sys pref's and it even doesn't show a digital out option. (MBP CD, first revision, not C2D) And I believe I have a digitlal out.

    So, maybe an optical cable has to be inserted to be able to select the digital out.

    (it changes to headphones if i insert a regular jack into it and I currently don't have a optical cable but I suspect it works the same.



    So probably there's something wrong with your output socket that is not sensing there is no cable.

    Possible solutions:

    1. Try inserting a jack and pull it out again a couple of times, maybe that helps.

    2. repair permissions?

    3. delete this file -->'com.apple.audio.AudioMIDISetup.plist' (use spotlight to search it)

    4. reset PRAM? (look it up how, I always forget which key combination.



    If that doesn't work, wait for smarter forum members or if it is under warranty just have it looked at.



    This is from the mac help files:

    "If you're using your computer's digital output port (not available on all computers), make sure Digital Output is selected in the Output pane of Sound preferences. Also make sure your computer is connected to a digital-ready receiver using an optical digital cable, and that your receiver is set up for digital input (see the information that came with your receiver)."
  • Reply 3 of 5
    macman1macman1 Posts: 3member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drazztikka View Post


    I think it should automatically switch if U plug in a fiberglass cable.

    I just checked sys pref's and it even doesn't show a digital out option. (MBP CD, first revision, not C2D) And I believe I have a digitlal out.

    So, maybe an optical cable has to be inserted to be able to select the digital out.

    (it changes to headphones if i insert a regular jack into it and I currently don't have a optical cable but I suspect it works the same.



    I did try multiple insertions of the headphone jack and the i/r light in the jack would not turn off. Didn't think to try an optical cable.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drazztikka View Post


    So probably there's something wrong with your output socket that is not sensing there is no cable.

    Possible solutions:

    1. Try inserting a jack and pull it out again a couple of times, maybe that helps.

    2. repair permissions?

    3. delete this file -->'com.apple.audio.AudioMIDISetup.plist' (use spotlight to search it)

    4. reset PRAM? (look it up how, I always forget which key combination.



    I did run repair permissions and reset PRAM. I'll try the deletion of that file. When I go to preferences and I don't even show "internal speakers" as an option anymore.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drazztikka View Post


    If that doesn't work, wait for smarter forum members or if it is under warranty just have it looked at.



    This is from the mac help files:

    "If you're using your computer's digital output port (not available on all computers), make sure Digital Output is selected in the Output pane of Sound preferences. Also make sure your computer is connected to a digital-ready receiver using an optical digital cable, and that your receiver is set up for digital input (see the information that came with your receiver)."



    Thanx for the help. Yes, it's under warranty still.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s.metcalf


    No idea, but a stab in the dark could be that it's stuck looking for an optical audio connection...? Did you use an optical audio cable? Do you have access to one to plug one in?No idea, but a stab in the dark could be that it's stuck looking for an optical audio connection...?



    I don't have an optical cable but I'll get one and give it a try.



    Thanx
  • Reply 4 of 5
    drazztikkadrazztikka Posts: 240member
    I'd just use the warranty if I were you.



    You might get it to work again but what if it fails out of warranty? U'd be bonking your head against the wall...

    Quote:

    When I go to preferences and I don't even show "internal speakers" as an option anymore.



    That's because the plug tells the computer that a optical cable is inserted, which obviously isn't.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    macman1macman1 Posts: 3member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drazztikka View Post


    I'd just use the warranty if I were you.



    You might get it to work again but what if it fails out of warranty? U'd be bonking your head against the wall...



    That's because the plug tells the computer that a optical cable is inserted, which obviously isn't.



    Yeah, I took it in under warranty. They replaced the I/O and it's all good. Thanks for all the help.
Sign In or Register to comment.