New iPhone App - possible or no?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
So, I was just lost in thought pondering the iPhone for some reason (I can't even buy one in Canada yet). Anyways, I was recalling from an article or blog someplace that Apple has some pretty wicked speech recognition (SR) technology. Then I got to thinking about how some iPhone detractors whine about the difficulty of typing without a tactile response from a keypad.

Do you think Apple could enhance (licence, patent, whatever) the iPhone with an application or add-on software that would allow iPhone users to take advantage of the integrated microphone in their earphones and SR technology to spare the gorilla-fingered and the hard-of-typing by letting them speak email messages into their iPhones, instead of typing them?

What do you think? Am I crazy (go easy), or is this doable? Marketable?

And if this turns out to be brilliant and no one's thought of it yet, I'd like a small piece of the pie when it goes into use. ;-) Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    While speech recognition is reliable enough for a limited number of pre-defined instructional commands (i.e. "Call Joe"), most speech recognition software is not yet very accurate with translating diction to text.