iTunes movies sold at loss; MBP display stripes; Microsoft and Yahoo

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 47
    hezekiahbhezekiahb Posts: 448member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rosstheboss View Post

Although the MBP issue is different to the Bridget Riley Syndrome on the 17" PB, i'm sure Apple will continue to use the "we know nothing" excuse and edit their discussion boards accordingly....then say "it's not a known issue"

http://www.crosspond.com/apple/hall_of_shame/23

Sorry to offend all the "Mac Propaganda-gravy-train foot soldiers Apple Fanboys"...

The "syndrome" is most definitely a factory issue & it could be Apple can't do much because they may have already axed production at that factory. With the number of people who have joined this fight about the screens I can't believe no one has started a class action lawsuit, they should have.

I will agree that towards the end of the Power PC Macs quality was slowly going out the window, I believe the last year of the Power Mac may have been the year of the most reported DOAs. Apple should catch flak for this & people have every right to even assume that this may have been purposeful to move people more quickly to the Intels when they started coming out.

All that being said I don't believe it is proof of overall quality of Apple products, they still continue to be drastically more reliable than PCs (both hardware & software). Want to share horror stories? I got a few I could share with you about Dell & crap motherboards; an issue that they did admit to but set a window of repair opportunity & then lied about what models were effected so they wouldn't have to fix them all. I also got a buddy who could share some good ones about IBM & HP. I'm sorry to say that this is what happens when we outsource all our products to China.
  • Reply 42 of 47
    Quote:

Apple is believed to be making the move partly out of frustration with the lackluster performance of its video service, which is considered the market leader but has failed to gain acceptance as quickly as its music counterpart.

It is of my opinion that the above statement may have to do with the fact that you can burn the music you purchase to a CD-R to play in standard players, but there isn't anything like that for purchased videos (i.e. burn to DVD).

Wouldn't that in and of itself help boost video sales? I know that I would love to have an Apple TV, but most of us can't afford to buy a lot of Apple-specific equipment for this entertainment, especially when we can pay about the same price for a regular DVD that can be enjoyed in more places.

Just a thought...
  • Reply 43 of 47
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DexTheHero View Post

It is of my opinion that the above statement may have to do with the fact that you can burn the music you purchase to a CD-R to play in standard players, but there isn't anything like that for purchased videos (i.e. burn to DVD).

Wouldn't that in and of itself help boost video sales? I know that I would love to have an Apple TV, but most of us can't afford to buy a lot of Apple-specific equipment for this entertainment, especially when we can pay about the same price for a regular DVD that can be enjoyed in more places.

Just a thought...

Very true, and pretty much impossible to overstate. When I dl a movie, I might want to watch it on my computer/iPod/aTV/whatever at first, but ultimately, I think most consumers expect to be able to burn it to a DVD so they can free up the space from their hard drive AND be able to play it on their regular consumer DVD players. For me at least, this is a bigger issue than the cost.
  • Reply 44 of 47
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I can't believe they are charging that much. I figured Apple had to buckle more than it's used to get the movie deal off the ground but that seems excessive.

It makes no sense to me that they would charge $16 wholesale when DVDs often sell for less than that. I can't imagine an online video company paying more than what they charge for DVDs, especially when quality often isn't as good and extras aren't included.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Whether they are expensive or not is not the problem . The problem is that they are selling an inferior product that is worse than DVD and should be at least equal. If it fails there should be no guessing or blame as to why. They are optimized for a screen that is miniscule- iPod. The should be optimzed for widescreen TV for Apple TV and be as good as if not better than a DVD- not worse not near DVD quality.

While they are slightly worse than DVD video, they are NOT optimized for iPod screen. They are 640 wide, higher resolution than any ipod can play back. Just because iPods can play it doesn't mean it's optimized for iPod.

In most reviews I've read they've said the video quality looks comparable to DVD - while the specs might be lower, the difference generally isn't visible.

And upscaling doesn't add any resolution - it's still showing the lower resolution but some boxes convert the signal to a higher resolution screen better than others. And I'd argue that people who own HDTVs but are watching upscaled DVDs consider quality a secondary priority.
  • Reply 45 of 47
    wnursewnurse Posts: 427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

If $16 is the COST price that the movie studios are charging for a lower quality digital file with no special features, they can kiss what's left of their business goodbye. Bitttorrent is looking better and better every day.

Bit torrent has always looked better.. (since when does free look worse than paid?).

I'm at a loss to explain the mac fanatics attitude here.. when people complain about apple high prices for their hardware, you tell them to not let the door hit them on the way out.. now, some companies are charging what they feel they can get for their products (the same thing apple does) and they are the villain?. Make up your minds already!!!...

Is it ok for a company to set it's own price or not!!!!!.
  • Reply 46 of 47
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wnurse View Post

Bit torrent has always looked better.. (since when does free look worse than paid?).

I'm at a loss to explain the mac fanatics attitude here.. when people complain about apple high prices for their hardware, you tell them to not let the door hit them on the way out.. now, some companies are charging what they feel they can get for their products (the same thing apple does) and they are the villain?. Make up your minds already!!!...

That's true.

But hardware is a different situation. With content, if the price is high people will just copy it. With hardware, that's not really an option.

We've seen it with music and with DVD pricing - lower prices mean more sales, and in many cases mean the difference between a buy and a bootlegged copy. These companies are just shooting themselves in the foot if they price too high.
  • Reply 47 of 47
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wnurse View Post

Maybe it is fanaticism, but I'm more inclined to think that Mac owners feel they are getting an added value with their Mac purchase; one that they just aren't seeing that with digital downloads of movies. While the higher price of a digital download only offers convenience over DVDs to some, you are stuck with lower quality video and have access to none of the extra features that accompany DVDs.

Even at the current quality, I think the real issue is the lack of features. Apple could revolutionize Movie rentals with a DVD-like menu for both the Mac/PC, AppleTV and iDevices. For example, when you launch your purchase or rental of Iron Man on your iPhone you are presented with the same type screen you would on the main menu of a DVD. You then press on play movie, select features, choose options, etc. This would make the experience more fulfilling, allow for many embedded languages and subtitles. Since HD-DVD and Blu-ray can do this with H.264 it shouldn't be hard for Apple to adapt it for their software.