Windows 2008 and Tiger SMB Issues

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I've been pulling hair out all morning over this one.

We have a new Windows 2008 server for file sharing. We are trying to connect to it via SMB on our network (with AD domain). Works great on PC, works on Leopard, does not work on Tiger.

From connect I type ?smb://xxxxxxxx? after a few minutes I get an error: ?could not connect to the server because the name or password is not correct? which is odd because I haven?t entered any login credentials to begin with.

I?ve been pouring over Google, Microsoft KB and anything else I can come across with no luck. Things I?ve tried.

-Clearing keychain passwords for the server

-Setting the digital signing on the server to disable (most cited fix, but no go for me)

-Setting Sharing and Security model to ?Classic ? local users authenticate themselves?

-Setting LAN Manager authentication to ?Send LM & NTLM ? use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated?

-Editing the smb.conf file on the mac to no security

-Created the nsmb.conf file on the mac with minauth=none.

-Used Directory access on the mac to add the mac and bind it to the domain.

-Many Many restarts of the server and clients (and running gpupdate.exe on the server)

One thing that DOES work is a trial of ADmitmac? but this is not realistic for us if we have guest users needing to access the share.

I?ve been able to use smb before with tiger and windows xp and windows 2003? but the mac is throwing a fit over the new windows 2008. Also, we can?t upgrade all of our machines to Leopard (which does work) because it will break Quark 6.5.