Computer is moving at a snail's pace

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
A few months ago, I installed Tiger on my tower G4 800, and the difference in ?snappiness? was very apparent. Recently, the system has slowed down to a snail?s pace. I have run repair permissions and repair disk, and - no luck. Disk Utility said there was an ?exit? problem with the main HDD, and repair disk fixed that problem. But the computer is still slower than molasses.

Another thing I?ve noticed is that when I run SuperDuper, it will back up ?Users? with no problem. However, when I try to do a full backup, SuperDuper does not complete the task. The blue line stops a fraction of an inch from the end and never completes. I?ve let it run for a couple of hours, but it does not complete.

I don?t know if there is any connection between the two problems, but they seem to be the only two apparent problems.

Oh yeah, another anomaly: At times, as when I reboot, I find a folder ?Recovered files? in the Trash Bin

At this time, the recovered files are: com.apple.mail.drag and com.apple.mail.drag [w/ a string of #?s and letters after it.]

ActivityMonitor shows SystemMemory (1GB): @ 983 MB in use and @ 41 MB free.

System: @ 90 %; User @ 10 %.

Hardly anything is open. The largest CPU usage is the ActivityMonitor at 5%. All the rest use

under 5%. Something doesn?t seem right there, but I?m not tech savvy enough to know what or what to do about it.

Suggestions anyone?