Macbook Pro & DisplayPort

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Ok, i just checked out the DisplayPort site to see if anything new is coming (i want a MBP with HD capabilities.etc)

And here is the pic

and here is the real MBP from Apple

Any ideas or thoughts (maybe its a prototype from Apple) but i might be wrong, thx in advance

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Posts: 1,772member
    It's just a photoshopped image to show what the port looks like. Many, many companies use Macs (with the names and logos covered up) to represent generic computers, because they look nice.

There is absolutely nothing here.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    I just hope this doesn't turn out like the whole Blu-ray vs HD-DVD thing. I guess they'll be able to make an adaptor to convert display-port to HDMI though.

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/33161/118/1/1/

Display-port certainly looks better for computer displays but HDMI is already on the market even in computer displays now.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    drazztikkadrazztikka Posts: 240member
    HDMI is the same as DVI except HDMI also carries audio signals.

Having a HDMI interface doesn't mean the machine is HD capable, an interface just passes data, wether it's HD or 640x480.

DVI HDMI Adaptors
  • Reply 4 of 7
    izzi1234izzi1234 Posts: 3member
    thx for the reply it makes sense, as the MBP is the most stylish laptop out there

Also DVI, HDMI, and DisplayPort are all the same they have roughly a 10 Gbit/s limit except that DVI does not carry audio while HDMI and DisplayPort do (8 channel, 192kHz, 24 bit, uncompressed PCM)

All are digital (in their current normal uses unlike VGA)

Also DVI and HDMI have huge licensing fees

DisplayPort has none. HDMI is now THE standard in CE equipment, while DisplayPort will become standard in computer gear within 1 to 2 years (like VGA has been for decades)

DisplayPort and HDMI are connectable like DVI (even with HDCP or stronger encryption) with a simple cheap adaptor

Hope for a future with one connector that does everything with a simple name and no fees (well we will never get there, eh)
  • Reply 5 of 7
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    DisplayPort also encompasses both internal and external connections and can drive panels directly. The component costs and size should be smaller than the current DVI products.

A 20Gbps version 2.0 should be coming down the pipe. Just in time to as 4k monitors will probably be an option for high end creative pros.

I like the Auxilliary channel of DP as well. Not only can it carry audio but it could be used for a smaller video track (think webcam) and it'll even carry USB signals. One cable to rule them all. Future changes to the spec should enable multipel streams over the single cable.

I'm sold...now just deliver the product.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    OK, so DP can carry audio, as can HDMI. DVI can't. Is the audio output enabled on the new MB/MBP's DP? Can I hook it into my TV's HDMI and get sound?
  • Reply 7 of 7
    U need a DVI to HDMI adaptor to connect to the tv, which means no audio because DVI is video only.

For audio U need to run another cable from the headphone output to your tv or a stereo.