MBP 15' LCD White Spots

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hey guys. I've had a few white spots/foggy lines across a section of 2.4 ghz MBP for months now. I'm finally finished up with the academic year so I'm planing on sending it in to Apple to be replaced. Apparently this was a significant problem in the first gen powerbooks back in the day, but the spots a popping up on this generation of units as well.

Anyone else have these spots on their screen and gotten your screen replaced?

Also, what are the chances they'll give me a brand new system if I'm within the first year of purchase?

MTM

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    I've never had the problem you're describing, but I can tell you that if it's not more than a few faulty pixels, Apple may decide that it's not bad enough and not replace it. As with most LCD manufacturers, they have a threshhold that must be reached before they consider a screen to be faulty. Having said that, I've seen many a screen replced because of whole rows or pixels gone bad, or for having enough bad pixels. This is one of those things that depends on the severity of the problem.

As for a brand new replacement laptop, I don't like your chances. Swapping a screen on a newer MBP is like a 15 minute job tops, and it would be far cheaper to replace only the screen.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Toymaker View Post

I've never had the problem you're describing, but I can tell you that if it's not more than a few faulty pixels, Apple may decide that it's not bad enough and not replace it. As with most LCD manufacturers, they have a threshold that must be reached before they consider a screen to be faulty. Having said that, I've seen many a screen replaced because of whole rows or pixels gone bad, or for having enough bad pixels. This is one of those things that depends on the severity of the problem.

As for a brand new replacement laptop, I don't like your chances. Swapping a screen on a newer MBP is like a 15 minute job tops, and it would be far cheaper to replace only the screen.

Long story short, they replaced the screen. The white hazy spots were all over the bottom right of the screen. The guy in the apple store said he was amazed what perfect condition my computer was in for a year old. That's what saved me later when I got a call from the repair facility in Texas where the repair technician told me the spots were from too much pressure on the lid (which is bs seeing as how the screen came with a white dot on it). They were going to charge me 1200 for a new screen or return the computer to me. I spoke to a rep and explained the situation, telling them how the genius said it was in perfect condition and there was no mention to me of any accidental damage.

That ended up saving me and they repaired it free of charge. They almost lost a future customer there.