iPhone v2 - Bluetooth 2.1?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
I'm wondering if there is any indication if the new iPhone will have Bluetooth 2.1?

It seems possible as Apple used it in the new Macbook Air, though not in the current Macbook Pro (that I can find).



The advantages (of 2.1 vs. 2.0) are said to be:

1) Better, faster pairing with other BT devices

2) Longer range

3) Much better (longer) battery life.



This would seem to be right up the iPhone's alley.



Something else I haven't seen discussed much is the possibility of a user-replaceable battery.



Any insight?



Thanks

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 6
    thttht Posts: 4,034member
    It really doesn't matter what version of Bluetooth is there, as it stands now. Right now, the only thing Bluetooth is used for is bluetooth head sets (not head phones). Since they haven't announced anything new or indicated to the contrary, the G2 iPhone Bluetooth can only be used for Bluetooth head sets, not file transfer, stereo headphones, etc.



    "No" on the user replaceable battery.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    arklabarklab Posts: 37member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by THT View Post


    It really doesn't matter what version of Bluetooth is there, as it stands now. Right now, the only thing Bluetooth is used for is bluetooth head sets (not head phones). Since they haven't announced anything new or indicated to the contrary, the G2 iPhone Bluetooth can only be used for Bluetooth head sets, not file transfer, stereo headphones, etc.



    Thank you for the reply.

    Apple MUST have a very odd type of bluetooth right now, then.

    Even the BT2.0 on my Blackberry Pearl 8110 can be used for stereo BT headsets, hands-free calling in cars (when the car has BT, of course), file transfer, organizer sinc., etc..



    And I'm looking at the 3G iPhone, NOT the 2G.



    So I'm still pretty confused.



    Any indications in the SDK?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    southerndocsoutherndoc Posts: 215member
    I'll believe Apple will support Bluetooth 2.1 when they add voice dialing support.



    Even though I love Apple products, and will likely upgrade my iMac G5 to a Power Mac, currently own a MacBook and an iPhone, I can tell you that Apple does not listen to its customers. There are products out there that Windows users have enjoyed for years, and Apple has yet to latch onto the idea of incorporating them into their designs. Don't get me wrong, Apple still makes great products, but if they would incorporate consumer desires and suggestions into their future products, it would double or even triple their appeal among consumers.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    thttht Posts: 4,034member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by arklab View Post


    Thank you for the reply.

    Apple MUST have a very odd type of bluetooth right now, then.

    Even the BT2.0 on my Blackberry Pearl 8110 can be used for stereo BT headsets, hands-free calling in cars (when the car has BT, of course), file transfer, organizer sinc., etc..



    And I'm looking at the 3G iPhone, NOT the 2G.



    So I'm still pretty confused.



    Any indications in the SDK?



    It's all the same bluetooth hardware. They just haven't written the drivers or enabled the functionality in the OS.



    Why? This is Apple. It's about usability not features, and their own worldview. Stereo headphones is a fairly low percentage use case, plus Apple's marketing is all about the white headphone wires. They haven't done it for iPods even. It's all about the white earbuds and white wires signifying this or that person has an iPod or iPhone. Bluetooth file transfer, syncing isn't really needed when the iPhone doesn't have any applications that really use it. It doesn't do file editing and such. Organizer (Calendar, Contact, Email) data sync will be pushed wirelessly with iPhone OS v2, but they are living with cable syncing right now, and I think will continue to do so for non-push stuff. Music/Video/Picture is generally too large for syncing and cable is better. Voice dialing/operation is a usability abomination. It isn't a great way to interact with the phone is probably their point of view. Tethered modem is obviously not supported either.



    The SDK does not support the bluetooth hardware.



    Apple will probably start supporting more Bluetooth profiles, but it won't have the kitchen sink that other phones support. The G2 (generation 2) iPhone may support one more profile, but it won't support them all or even most or even half. Having 2 Bluetooth profiles will be an interesting move for them actually.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    arklabarklab Posts: 37member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by THT View Post


    Voice dialing/operation is a usability abomination.



    First off, Thanks again to everyone trying to give me some sense of what just IS!



    As far as the voice dialing, though - Apple really doesn't have much option here.



    The thing here is the LAW,

    Here in California and many other states (and maybe countries?) Hands Free is REQUIRED for cellphone use in a vehicle, and more severe laws are pending even now.



    For all it's quirks, I've never though of Apple as a scoff-law type of a company.

    Even when the environment is the issue, they seem to lead the pack.

    Non-handsfree cellphone use in a car is now considered on a par with drunk driving by most lawmakers.



    Right or wrong, it's just what IS.



    IMHO only ...
  • Reply 6 of 6
    thttht Posts: 4,034member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by arklab View Post


    As far as the voice dialing, though - Apple really doesn't have much option here.



    The thing here is the LAW, Here in California and many other states (and maybe countries?) Hands Free is REQUIRED for cellphone use in a vehicle, and more severe laws are pending even now.



    For all it's quirks, I've never though of Apple as a scoff-law type of a company.

    Even when the environment is the issue, they seem to lead the pack.

    Non-handsfree cellphone use in a car is now considered on a par with drunk driving by most lawmakers.



    Right or wrong, it's just what IS.



    IMHO only ...



    Apple isn't scoffing at the law. Drivers are (which I've done, in California, unknowingly, wonder if they'll post signs next time I'm in the state). I just made a pro-gun argument. Wow. Anyways, voice dialing. It'll be an interesting if they will do it, but I'm skeptical of the next version having it.
Sign In or Register to comment.