EDGE Evolution

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Personally I'm still excited for what EDGE can do, and I know the next iPhone is pretty much certainly going to have HSDPA, has anyone heard about EDGE Evolution? I've heard 250kbps theoretical is far from the limit for the wide-reaching EDGE network. With simple upgrades, not complex ones like HSDPA, EDGE Evolution allows real speeds in the 500-750k range and theoretical up to 1000k. Plus latency lowers from ~300-400ms to ~150-200ms. That sounds neat, but devices need to support it. While the "iPhone 2" support EDGE Evolution?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    thttht Posts: 5,394member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ryaxnb View Post

Personally I'm still excited for what EDGE can do, and I know the next iPhone is pretty much certainly going to have HSDPA, has anyone heard about EDGE Evolution? I've heard 250kbps theoretical is far from the limit for the wide-reaching EDGE network. With simple upgrades, not complex ones like HSDPA, EDGE Evolution allows real speeds in the 500-750k range and theoretical up to 1000k. Plus latency lowers from ~300-400ms to ~150-200ms. That sounds neat, but devices need to support it. While the "iPhone 2" support EDGE Evolution?

It's a more complicated question as the carriers must also support it, then Apple has to update the iPhone firmware. Due to sane business practices, you'll never see it in the USA or Europe. Maybe in Africa nations, India, China. IE, countries that haven't invested in a 3G network yet.

In the USA or Europe, there's really no business cases as AT&T and European carriers are already building out their 3G networks. Upgrading EDGE means less people buying 3G phones, buying 3G data bundles, etc. For Apple, it means less people from the existing iPhone customer base upgrading to the new phone. No business would really want to do that.